Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to listen to music 24/7 since my hearing was damaged in a surgery 10 years ago. To lessen the ringing ears, today I am testing new set of $6,000 hearing aids for one week.

Unfortunately, the aids are not working very well reducing the ringing. However, it is AMAZING how well I can now hear the 12 channel home theater that I am glued to these days.

THE HEARING AIDS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO INCREASE THE DBs FOR FREQUENCIES BEYOND 8K since that is the upper range of the HUMAN VOICE.

My question is this: I was told by the doctor that 8K is the sound of a cymbal crashing; what kind of sounds in music playback are higher than 8K?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I need to listen to music 24/7 since my hearing was damaged in a surgery 10 years ago. To lessen the ringing ears, today I am testing new set of $6,000 hearing aids for one week.

Unfortunately, the aids are not working very well reducing the ringing. However, it is AMAZING how well I can now hear the 12 channel home theater that I am glued to these days.

THE HEARING AIDS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO INCREASE THE DBs FOR FREQUENCIES BEYOND 8K since that is the upper range of the HUMAN VOICE.

My question is this: I was told by the doctor that 8K is the sound of a cymbal crashing; what kind of sounds in music playback are higher than 8K?
There are the higher harmonics of cymbals, voice, etc., above 8khz, but remember that it's not a linear system. I'm 60 and my hearing extends to probably 13k or 14k, if I'm lucky. That means my highest octave is between 6.5khz and 13khz. So, there's not a ton of information up there, compared to everything below what I can hear and the vast majority of information is below 8khz. I also have tinnitus and I use Oticon hearing aids with tinnitus retraining therapy sounds. It's pretty helpful.

Here's a link to a frequency chart and where instruments live: http://blog.landr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Instrument_Frequency_Chart.jpg

·
Registered
154 Posts
As posted in another thread... hearing aids work by making sounds you don't hear well louder. Hearing loss is most commonly caused by being exposed to loud sounds. By using a hearing aid to amplify what you can't hear will help you hear, but everything the hearing aid makes louder will continue to cause an increase in hearing loss. I do not hear above 6000 Hz and cymbals sound fine to me. EQ or tone controls work the same way hearing aids work... by making sounds you don't hear well louder. Any time that is going on, your hearing is being subject to loud sound that will cause hearing loss. The more the hearing aid amplifies, the faster the hearing loss will progress. I'm not saying to NO USE hearing aids, but if you need 12 dB of amplification to hear 10,000 Hz and higher... even though you cannot hear that sound, the PRESENCE OF THAT LOUD SOUND will continue to cause hearing loss in frequencies you CAN hear. I would say it's an ADVANTAGE to have the hearing aid stop at 8000 Hz rather than having the hearing aid trying to make 16,000 Hz audible to you. The trying to make 16,000 Hz loud enough to hear can cause hearing loss at frequencies you CAN hear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts