Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With some help from here and a lot of homework I built my first DIY home audio sub. As space was no issue and I wanted added tune ability I built a large SonoSUB with changeable ports. The issue I had was a burnt voice coil which was not cheap nor do i want to do it again. I would have to say foul play and alcohol caused this. I need help to find the best way to not burn it again. Here are my specs and components...

Pioneer VSX-918K AV
EP4000 (Bridged)
TC Sounds LMS-R 15"

SONOSUB:
~11.5 cft.
24" dia.
5 ft. tall
2 x 8" Ports

I have a set of 40" long ports and 8" long ports.
I plan to run mainly sealed, 1 40" port, or 2 40" ports.

If someone can post an excursion graph that would be great. Vista has ticked me off and prevented me from ever viewing it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am not running a hpf right now because the EP4000's lowest setting is 30hz. Should I use that even though my lowest tune port is 16hz?

Should I run off one channel just to limit power? Is 2000 watts too much?

·
Registered
420 Posts
If I was going to go bridged I would most definitely turn the highpass filter on the amp, and even then you may want to be careful what signals you are sending.
My suggestion is to use one channel and get a filter for it. Right now I am running a EP4000 to a LMSR15, and I am using the reckhorn b-2 crossover set at 16-18hz highpass filter.:T

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The worst part about this is it cost me as much to re-cone the sub as buying a dsp-mini, reckhorn, or b-1. I guess I will go to back to one channel on the amp, turn on the 30hz hpf, and keep the volume down until i get some more money for one. I need to slow down my beer drinking/brewing :gah:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I don't understand why you need to go to one channel. I can run without a hpf even on my 21.5hz tune up to annoying neighbour levels. Even more so on my 17.5hz tune. I would just calibrate the sub level a little lower maybe even down to 70db rather than 75-80db. You will be missing out on so much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was unaware he was using a 30 HPF when I suggested one channel of the amp.
When I was running bridged I was using no HPF. I tried going to 1 channel last night and 30hz HPF on and it did nothing but make horrible hmmmmmmm. I went back to bridged and the hmmm is not as bad. I have a chassis ground from the amp to the receiver but I think my problem is the unbalanced RCA to Balanced 1/4 jack. I am guessing that a FBD will solve that problem as well as give me a HPF. I need to check a spec sheet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts