Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, This is my 2nd post, have not been well for a few months, hence the lack of my activity with the HTS Community.

Now for my problem.

My daughter has an Onkyo Integra DTR 7.6 (Amp/Receiver) and wants to hook up a surround sound bar (Yamaha) through the AMP, using an optical cable, whilst the Samsung 60" LCD TV, Samsung Blu ray recorder are connected to through the AMP also.

Is this possible? :ponder: :help:

Thanking you in advance for the support.

Cheers, by the way, it is 38 degrees Celsius (106 F) in Sydney today (Downunder)

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I am not familiar with that receiver. Does it have an optical output? If so, you can connect the TV and blu ray to the Onkyo, then use optical between the Onkyo and the soundbar and use the Onkyo to switch between the TV and blu ray player.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Welcome to HTS! :yes:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The AVR has an "optical out" on the back, left hand side.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_2/images/integra-dtr-76-receiver-rear-panel-large.jpg

Can you hook up to it & see if you get sound from the bar + a picture on the TV. I assume you are using HDMI cables for the rest of your connections. Since the AVR has only 1 optical out, you may have to run an optical cable from the bar to the TV. Should be easy if the bar is under the TV. Point being, I don't know if the AVR will allow 2 active outputs (optical & HDMI).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Tonto,

Thanks for the prompt reply. My daughter has not purchased the sound bar (SB) yet, as I wanted to research, the compatibility of the SB connection with the Onkyo receiver. Is it your belief that an optical connection between the SB and the Receiver will work?

Thanks,

Ron :eek:lddude:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have no reason to think it won't work. The SB manual shows an optical input (receiver/BRP) & output for the TV connection. The issue will be when using different inputs on the AVR, can you select the optical out no matter which input you are using (cable box, BRP, Satallite, X-Box etc). Are you planning to buy online or from a store. That is a bonus of brick & morter, they have sales people that know the products. I personally have never played around with a SB, maybe somebody that has one will chime in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Tonto, thanks for the reply.

My daughter will, if a (powered-built in amp) soundboard (SB) is compatible with hooking up to a stand alone Onkyo AVR, purchase from a retailer. I have also spoken to a number of electronic retailers for the SB and I have been given conflicting advice. Such as "yes it will work", to "No way" and even, "why not just have the SB connected to the TV and Blu Ray and don't use the Onkyo amp". Also suggested was having 5 similar non powered speakers to may up a SB configuration, when placed side by side.

I do not want to out lay over $1,000.00 on a product, that has been recommended and find out that it was a failure.

I am sure there are non powered SB's on the market, will keep looking.

Thank you for the support and suggestion(s).

Cheers,

Ron :eek:lddude: By the way, the temperature in Sydney (Australia) at the moment is 42 degrees Celsius.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts