Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm working on a couple of sonotube's using 18" tube with eD160 15" drivers. I wanted to take up as little horizontal space as possible. As you suspect I don't have much room for legs. I'm looking for ideas on some small, strong legs. Maybe aluminum? Not sure were to get anything. Any sites anybody knows of? I've been to a couple Home Depot's and Lowe's but, don't have much available in the small size.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Check out my sonotube builds- I used fully threaded rods and I believe they could have been much thinner diameter, such as the tubes made from aluminum ski poles. So it may work for you if you use a similar metal tube, perhaps a short length of iron water pipe or something similar. You would want to drill the holes using a drill press so it all aligns well. It's cheap too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You could probably use Rebar. Buff it with a brass brush then paint it. I could see it having a nice industrial look and is very strong.

Drill and tap the ends so you can bolt to it and you are set.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about using threaded rods. And they aren't very expensive. I looked at your pics of that beast of a sonotube build you have. You mentioned plumbing pipe. Did you slip it over the threads? I don't see any exposed threads on your legs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rebar is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I bet it would look good also. I'll look into that.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I thought about using threaded rods. And they aren't very expensive. I looked at your pics of that beast of a sonotube build you have. You mentioned plumbing pipe. Did you slip it over the threads? I don't see any exposed threads on your legs.
I suggested plumbing pipe as it may be easier to come by and you might find different sizes (smaller) for your limited space.
On 'the beast', I used short tubes cut from medical crutches, yeah, like the ones used for walking. I then have the threaded rod inside. I think one of my pics show where I drilled part of the way through the plywood for the tube to fit in snugly (all at the same depth), then using the pilot point from the bit, used the small diameter bit to drill all the way through for the rod. This was done on both ends. I then have the washers, nuts on the ends. I tightened it from the inside before sliding my tube over the endplate with a thin film of adhesive on both surfaces. I used nyloc nuts on the exterior thread, just snugged on which left the rounded nut without any (sharp) threading exposed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lowes has 3/4" diameter aluminum tube in different lengths. Its right by the threaded rods which they also have in different lengths and thickness. Then do as ironglen did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts