Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Related to this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/44040-my-multi-media-computer-speakers.html

I can not put my finger on why my tweets are getting static, interference, noise, whatever you want to call it.
I have tried every variation I can think of rewiring how they are setup. I think at first I was not picking up on the unwanted sound, both because of the general excitement of having them done and the fact it isnt so obvious at higher volumes. One thing that is out of design criteria initially were the L-Pads. I did not intend to purchase 100w models, but did. Way over kill, but cant imagine it would hurt a tweeter, or am I wrong? They are of course 5 ohm models that I added a 3 ohm resistor on the + terms. in series/parallel for a nominal 8 ohm at the crossover. The amp driving this is the Dayton APA 150 (75w RMS per channel). PE shelf 3500hz crossover between the amp and tweets/mids. I tried bypassing the LPad and letting them run wide open individually, still have issue. Changed from the cheesy RCA cable to a new monster cable. Bought a $100 monster power filter........... I can say that the breakup, static, whatever seems to be more pronounced in the beginning of the song and seems to atleast soften. I cant handle it though, especially on softer acoustic songs the static cuts through me like a knife. Suggestions please?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What happens when you use a receiver as the source? I would first run things all the same but just with an AVR and see what happens, imo. Also, are your ears literally that close to these? I'm referencing the table and where your listening position is relative to your computer.
Firstly, I just measured my listening position to the center of the speakers and its 42-48". Used my SPL meter at what I consider a comfortable level and its 70-73db. I have not tried to use a receiver as the source ILO of the Mac. I can say that the previous Hivi mid and same Hivi tweet with the same crossover, resisters, etc did not do this. It was with a S-onance (it wont let me type the name) amp though........... So its possible. I wish I had a clean box that could go from 3mm to RCA out. That would tell alot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eek. I had one other idea, that may be less painful. I am going to get one of my older speakers from my brother, gave them to him recently. Since they are so similar in hardware, crossover, etc, I am going to see if the same problem is present. I also have a neat metering tool that could come in handy. Its made by beretta and has the model number 12gablowitup.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both of you guys are asking good questions. Fbov, if you look back at the original thread you will see I said I have a pre assembled parts express crossover. Dont know if I stated it or not, but its crossed at 3500hz. The sound I am hearing could probably be described as sound well below the intended operating range of the tweet, but with the fact that both speakers have the identical issue and a pre-assembled and well labeled crossover I dont think that is it. Terminal>crossover in>tweeter/woofer out>drivers

fusseli, I have isolated atleast 3 of the 4 tweeters by themselves and seems to change nothing. I am really a bit baffled. I ordered 2 ART clean boxes that will be here tomorrow (needed them anyway) and am going to snatch one of my last speakers I built from my brother tomorrow to compare. One of the few variable left in my mind is this APA150 amp. Hopefully I can isolate it further tomorrow. Thanks for the input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts