Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to access the digital I/O of my interface within REW, but I cannot find any method of doing so.

OSX 10.9.5 REW 5.1

The configuration of my audio interface doesn't allow the default inputs to be swapped.
I've tried Soundflower with no luck.

Any tips?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
All the inputs the interface makes available to CoreAudio should be available to select in the REW soundcard preferences. Difficult to say much more without knowing what interface you are using or what is appearing in the REW soundcard preferences for input devices and inputs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the inputs the interface makes available to CoreAudio should be available to select in the REW soundcard preferences. Difficult to say much more without knowing what interface you are using or what is appearing in the REW soundcard preferences for input devices and inputs.
Thank you John.

It's a new interface from Tascam called the UH-7000. It has remarkable specs and can accept input levels as high as +26.5dBu, seems like a good one for testing applications.

It has 4 available inputs and 4 available outputs, 2 analog and 2 digital.

I've installed the driver, and this is what appears in the REW "soundcard" preference pane:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Looks a very impressive unit. I guess you installed the OS X drivers? V1.01 seems to be the latest. It looks like the unit has its own mixer control, so the input selection may need to be made there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my DAW software I can access the digital inputs by selecting input 3 and 4, bu as you can see, these are not available in REW using the Tascam driver in OSX. The control software Tascam supplies has no provision for routing inputs to the computer, only to the monitoring outputs.

When I tested the setup in Windows last night, all 4 inputs were available (using the ASIO driver), but the device stopped communicating with REW when I switched the sample rate to 192kHz.

Here's what the UH-7000 looks like at a level of -20dBfs (which corresponds to 1.72V)

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I attempted to use the optical input on my sound card for REW on my MacBook Pro last night, without success.

The preferences page simply will not access the digital input, even when I set the optical in as the default recording device in the Mac Audio/Midi preferences. There is no dedicated software config app for my sound card on OSX.

I tried every combination available. Nothing worked.

Then, I pulled out my PC laptop and installed the sound card drivers on it, and loaded REW there. Pulled up the ASIO settings in REW and I had no issues assigning the digital input. So I just used the PC for the measurements I was after and it worked great.

I don't think there is any way to do this on Mac, however.

MacBook Pro 17" Early 2009 running OSX 10.10.2
Behringer FCA610 sound card

·
Registered
25 Posts
On Mac, you can only use analog I/O. If you have an audio interface with more than 2 I/O, REW keeps using the 2 first inputs and the 2 first outputs. I have an Apollo from UA and it has 12 analog inputs and 10 analog outputs + 2 ADATs +1 SPDIF but it only works with the first 2 analog I/O whatever you do.
Well, this is how it goes for me at least.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On Mac, you can only use analog I/O. If you have an audio interface with more than 2 I/O, REW keeps using the 2 first inputs and the 2 first outputs. I have an Apollo from UA and it has 12 analog inputs and 10 analog outputs + 2 ADATs +1 SPDIF but it only works with the first 2 analog I/O whatever you do.
Well, this is how it goes for me at least.
Yes, that has been my experience also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was just curious about testing the frequency response coming out of my new preamp with optical output before the signal reaches my DSP.

This stereo is in my car, and I had previously been using the high level outputs from the OEM Bose amplifier to feed my DSP. That worked, but the Bose amp was applying a lot of EQ to the signal and my DSP could not do an adequate job of counteracting that EQ.

Now I have a digital preamp that intercepts the audio signal from the MOST fiber optic system in the car before it reaches the OEM amplifier. It then outputs a stereo optical output which I feed into my DSP.

Anyway, I was able to perform my test using my PC so I don't really have a problem. It just would have been nice to do it with my Mac, because that's my preferred machine.

Happily, my new preamp is outputting an almost perfectly flat signal. The Bose EQ curve is gone! :clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts