Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So currently I'm shooting for 18hz on my build. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/...build.html
I want to go lower. I see that most seem to shoot for around 15hz. I don't want to run into problems with port resonance. I'm still reading up and trying to understand the concept and have good reads on it but, I would like others opinions. Currently I have 3 4" ports ~22" long. If I lengthen them to allow me to go to the 15hz-16hz range will I be okay? Will I lose to much? I notice that the frequency response drops quite a bit.

I have 2 ed160v.2 d4 wired to 4 ohm. Any suggestions/comments or need more info?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using an ep2500. I already have the eD EQ.2 for the subsonic filter.

So do you think lowering the tuning is worth it? You are much more experienced here than I am. Keep in mind that I'm not in a very large room and I have 2 of these puppies.

Any signs of port resonance problems?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Since you asked my opinion, go with the 18 hz tuning and set the SSF to 15 hz. You get more output from 17 hz on up, and there is more program material in that range then under 17 hz where a lower tuning would have the advantage. I compared your 11.5 cu.ft. 18 hz tune to my IXL-18 in 12 cu.ft. 16 hz tune and the response graphs are the same. So I know you're in for a real treat! You will love it! :yes:
There are no issues with the first port resonance. If you're using flared ports, three 4 inch ports would need to be 25.25 inches long each to tune to 18 hz according to Precision Ports.

http://www.psp-inc.com/

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another quick question while I got your attentions Mike P. For stuffing/lining what do you recommend? Ployfill rolls are a pain to layer and stick to the walls. Egg crate foam? Or do you use the acoustic foam? I'm looking for something easy to install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts