Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky for me, I have access to Doable. My projector has some flexibility as far a zoom and offset. I was toying around with the idea of doing a CIH 2.40:1 screen, but in my room, when I got the perfect 2.40:1 image, my 16:9 material looked too small. Vice Versa, when I had the perfect 16:9 screen, it had more impact on those movies than when I switched to a 2.40:1 movie. I read about Constant Area Image, so I built my screen to 2:1 aspect ratio. For me, it worked out perfectly. Sure it requires manually zooming when I switch aspect ratios, and when I zoom out for 2.40:1 content, I have about 3" of overspill for menu's and trailers (which my velvet border catches), but I am very happy. I now feel that I am getting impact for both 16:9 material and 2.40:1 material without compromising either.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any pictures? I like pictures!! :yes: :bigsmile:
I agree, I like pictures as well. I kinda take the small schoolbus when it comes to taking pictures and uploading them. :R

If I take the pictures and save them to my hard drive on my PC, how do I upload them to the Shack from there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
open an account with photobucket or similar and upload the pics there.
paste the image link provided by them to your post.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to report back, how happy I am with the Doable :T I like it much better than the BOC I had before. To be fair, I was never able to fully get out all of the wrinkles, so not a fair comparison for sure. Once I built a 3 1/2" velvet border and painted the screen wall black, it looks professional. At first my wife wasn't thrilled about painting the wall black. I painted it one Saturday night while everyone was sleeping. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :innocent:

I also am loving the 2:1 aspect ratio. I do need to adjust the projector when switching between aspect ratios, but really only about 15 seconds. If you have the flexibility in your projector, I would highly recommend Constant Image Area.

I know, I need to post pictures. I am working on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :innocent:
:rofl: very true....

I would like to see some pictures too.

Myself for masking I'm planing to use this masking method. Also I think I'll do 2.42:1, as most of the current movies use this ratio.... The only thing is I won't be able to use it to watch Black Knight special edition with IMAX scenes in it.... :scratchhead: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:rofl: very true....

I would like to see some pictures too.

Myself for masking I'm planing to use this masking method. Also I think I'll do 2.42:1, as most of the current movies use this ratio.... The only thing is I won't be able to use it to watch Black Knight special edition with IMAX scenes in it.... :scratchhead: :bigsmile:
Certainly not the main reason, but a nice benefit of my 2:1 ratio is those Dark Knight Imax scenes. with the 3" border, when they switch to imax, it does not over shoot the velvet, which absorbs the picture. It is a nice compromise with thinner black bars than a typical 16:9 screen and still maintaining the Imax expansion on Dark Knight. Again not the best reason to go with a CIA screen over CIH, but there you go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts