Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, I am getting "promoted" at work possibly, and this kid I work by is into stereos a little, and at first I thought sweet! lets feel him out! And it didn't take long. "I was talking to this guy about his system, and he thought he knew all this stuff, and I was like "I work at Best Buy"....

So later I go to tell him I'm doin an 18, and he goes "I don't like big subs they're.." and I cut him off. It was then that I knew. O well, maybe once I get the IB done I can lie to him and say "dude! you were right! I couldn't even fit 12's in the trunk opening, so I got 3 10's! come listen!" Of course he only knows about Alpine, and Fosgate, and best buy garbage... so when I pull the seat down and there's this HUGE 18 with seriouse clean excursion, maybe I can save one of them from the Abyss.

So yes, I finished his sentence for him when i cut him off. I said "slow and sloppy. yup. heard that before." and I left it at that... for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm running a JBL 15" sub in a sealed 1.5 cu.ft. enclosure powered by an older US Amps USA-300 and it's anything but slow and sloppy! No one around here can understand why I like bigger subs. I think they sound better, well, at least to me they do. :T:R

I bet your 18 will sound awesome!!

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm running a JBL 15" sub in a sealed 1.5 cu.ft. enclosure
:yikes:

My dual sealed box I made is just over 2 cubes per, because I couldn't make it any bigger for the car I had at that time, and I would have done more if I could have. I had a 4.5 cube sealed for the longest time, ran 15" L7 then 15" Avalanche, and Audiobahn 15's in the dual...lol...hey, it was when i 1st got back into stereo last time when I ran audioBLAH! dont hate!

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I really want is a FI Audio Q series 18. I've read nothing but good things about those subs. :T

I can't hate on you for having Audioblah, I used to run some cheap Radio Shack 12's back in the day. :duh: :R

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at the time, they did, and to some people now, still do.. the more ya get into it, the more you grow... like wine tasting...pallet gets more sophisticated lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe you shouldn't "generalize" us at Best Buy. It so happens I work as a Senior installer there in the Bay. I'm MECP Advanced certified and am going for my Master cert soon. Just because one person doesn't understand sound physics doesn't mean we're all like that.

And since when is fosgate and alpine junk? It's not jensen and jvc.
Not the best, but good never the less.

-Nick

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just bought a Fi Q18 from epicentyr...I'm doing this because In the past I've only had 10's and 12's and I thought this would be a lot of fun..and it should have awsome low end extension.

I spoke to the tech support at fi and they said that to be considered IB these subs need at least 35 cuft of air space...other wise its just a big sealed enclosure. well 35 cuft is about as big as the whole interior of my car.

But if I put up a wall behind the back seat and use the hatch area this should give me about 10 cubic feet of air space...which is exactly what they recomend for airspace for this sub.

I can't wait to hear how slow and sloppy it sounds. :daydream:

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry nick, i can be as stereotypical as the next guy sometimes.... but i have to say, i wasnt surprised...but i did give himm a chance and i did have hope that he was like you... a diamond in the ruff...

no pun on the stereo ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts