Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on a 4 18" woofer line array on the right front wall about a foot or so behind my right front speaker. It will stretch from floor to ceiling.
It will be 3/4" MDF to 3/4 OSD and framed by two 2x6's (essentially 4x6's as side framing) on the sides with 2x6's for bracing across between each woofer.
The bottom will be anchored to the cement floor as my house is on a slab.
At the top it is about 50" to an opposing wall. I intend to use 2x6's two deep (essentially 4x6's) from the array to the opposing wall. I will use about 3 sets meaning the equivelent of three 4x6's bracing the top of the array.

Will this be rigid enough? I used REW with my Seaton Submersive at the LP to find the flattest response which was the right front wall position. I plan to run this array with my Submersive in the back of the room where it is now.

Any help is appreciated.
Moto

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I plan on a 4 18" woofer line array on the right front wall about a foot or so behind my right front speaker. It will stretch from floor to ceiling.
It will be 3/4" MDF to 3/4 OSD and framed by two 2x6's (essentially 4x6's as side framing) on the sides with 2x6's for bracing across between each woofer.
The bottom will be anchored to the cement floor as my house is on a slab.
At the top it is about 50" to an opposing wall. I intend to use 2x6's two deep (essentially 4x6's) from the array to the opposing wall. I will use about 3 sets meaning the equivelent of three 4x6's bracing the top of the array.

Will this be rigid enough? I used REW with my Seaton Submersive at the LP to find the flattest response which was the right front wall position. I plan to run this array with my Submersive in the back of the room where it is now.

Any help is appreciated.
Moto
4 18" subs in an infinite baffle = :hsd:

I'd suggest you put them in different areas if you can. It will smooth out your in room response and give you a much nicer experience. I'm not sure the effect of a line array of 4 18" subs on a house. This is unpredictable IMO. You won't need the seaton with 2 of those much less four.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check out the cult of the infinitely baffled. One of the guys there had an line array of 4 18s. He went through a TON of trouble trying to get it braced properly. If at all possible one big manifold of 4 opposed drivers is your best bet. Or two manifolds of 2 opposed drivers each.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, maybe I am not giving the 4 18's enough respect. I was told on the cult forum it would be best to use 4 18's if I wanted alot of good bass. So maybe I only need 2 18's in conjunction with the submersive to get good low bass.

The IB will be on a wall that has a hallway on the other side so I wanted to use an array which has much less depth than a manifold. Looks like I will have trouble keeping it from flexing tho.

Looks like I am back to a manifold, but may need only 2 18's (but I can build it to hold 4 in case I ever wanted to use them).

Thanks
Moto

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
For good low bass you'd need a driver with the lowest Fs and a high x-max. Below FS distortion goes up big time. Not to be a downer, but perhaps this is getting into overkill.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This guy supposedly experienced huge gains in spl and quality of bass when going from 4 woofers mounted through the wall to a manifold design.

http://ibsubwoofer.blogspot.com/

Keep in mind not only is the wall going to have to hold the cones and voice coils of four big 18" woofers in place but they're also pushing back and fourth against the entire voulme of air in the room. Unless there is some fitment problem a plenum just seems to be the way to go, either make it square and put 1 woofer on each side, or make it a rectangle and put 2 woofers to a side, or just make 2 rectangles in different places and put 2 in each one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts