Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning my IB installation and the best option for my room is in the attic. I live in the easter region of San Diego and we get some pretty hot days in the summer time, I haven't actually verified it, but I bet the attic could hit at least 115 if not a little hotter. Will the heat be an issue for the drivers?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Hey Jon, welcome to the Shack!

That's a good question, I'm in the desert part of TX and wondered about extremes, both hot and cold, where temps can go from below 0° to nearly 120°:blink: If a member doesn't post an answer, you might want to post in a dedicated sponsor section such as Exodus, CSS, or Fi.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Generally if a sub is considered OK for car use its ok for IB use as the elements in your attic are probably less nasty than they can get in cars. If you're overly worried about the elements 2 things you can do are... Mount the subs backwards with the magnets and spiders inside the house instead of the attic. That'll mitigate the effects somewhat. Also you can make a foam plug for the IB manifold and stick it in there when not listening to help weatherproof the room a bit. As of yet I don't know of any major IB issues due to attic climate. In the winter the TS paramters will change enough to make the bass a bit lighter but as they warm up they'll go back to normal. Heat usually never makes an audible difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
attics can go well above 115 degrees if your roofing material is dark,, would suggest placing a thermometer in the area your considering for accurate information,,

as for the equipment I would ask the suppliers what the temp range for normal operations is,, I have seen many homes with in-ceiling speaker systems that have worked well for many years,, if you find the real temps are a tad higher than the mfgs suggest, there are many types of power ventilation devices for attics and can lower temps by 20+ degrees,,

Derry

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
They should be fine, but its always worth posing the question to the manufacturers for the extra peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts