Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on begining the construction of my IB (sub order goes in Thursday/friday).

But I thought of something, I often listen to music on the HT room, as it really a family room. Will and IB sound pretty good?

Robbie

·
Registered
393 Posts
Virtually all the reviews/reports I've seen have been gushing about IBs for music. As well as for HT. I don't think it will disappoint you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine was wonderful and I hope the next one to be just as good. It was really neat the first time I heard a song with a walking bass line. Previously it just sounded, I dunno, muddy? The IB presented it clean and clear. All the different notes were very.. different and not all the same.

Kick drums are fun with an IB as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I second Chad on this. I couldn’t say it better or add anything to what he said.

http://www.kn7f.com/Theater/Finished/

Ummm

A. that's about the first time anybody has ever said that
B. Can you call my wife and train her to say that :shh:

rwilliek, you WILL NOT be disappointed! Notice I said I am building another one... I'm almost obsessed with it. I have all of my speakers set up, but no low end... it sucks! I sold my old IB when I moved planning to use the funds from it to buy the amp for my new set, well, stuff happened and now I have nothing. I have old JBL sub, but, it's junk and I don't even want to bother running wire to set it up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Steve, what did you use in your room to make it look like different stones? Just paint? I thought about something like that in the upstairs bathroom...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Steve, what did you use in your room to make it look like different stones? Just paint? I thought about something like that in the upstairs bathroom...
Chad:

We put down a primer coat that was going to be the color between the stones, but we didn't like the way it looked. So we (we here means Karen) drew the stones with pencil and painted the new grout color over that, let it dry and put down masking tape (pin stripe tape from the auto paint/body store). Then we (we being Karen again mostly) rolled on the texture (really thick mud) and let it dry for a couple of days. Then we (Both of us) painted the stone color let it dry and peeled the tape. We added some highlight\accent color so the stones didn’t look all the same color, we did this after the tape was peeled so that each stone could be unique without features of one stone being part of the stone next to it. We still have to do that on much of the room. Peeling the tape was a bit of a problem as the first coat of paint was a terrible primer so the paper would tear off the sheet rock. This caused us to have to go back and touch-up the grout color which actually was a good thing as the stone edges were too perfect, the minor tears made the edges look more like real stones and the touch up painting fixed the big tears and further made the stone edges less uniform. There are pictures of the process here http://www.kn7f.com/Theater/Doing/ towards the bottom of the page. I’ve still got to clean up the web page so it loads faster and is a nicer presentation but it works for now.

Steve

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cool idea, thanks for the info. I remember Lowes used to sell some sort of peel and stick paper that you would tear off and stick where you wanted... looked a lot like stone, just flat... very flat.

____

Ok, just went and read the page you linked too.. makes sense, lots and LOTS of work!

Your IB, 4 MJ18's in an array

A. How is the actual quality of the MJ18. For the price I have to wonder
B. Is your array pretty stiff with the additional braces? I'm thinking array for my new house... thinking MJ18's too :) I just worry that the ceiling is going to look like a wave pool and crack all over the place. My ceiling has an odd texture / pattern that would be hard to replicate.

Oh, yeah, sorry for the threadjacking :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only woofers I had to compare them to was a pair of 40+ year old Electrovoice 15W woofers I got from a theater that was rebuilding. the 15Ws were 32 lbs, 30 lbs of that was magnet. By comparison the MJ18s had a wimpy magnet and the surround was quite large but they seem beefy enough and I really don't expect them to fail from anything I am likely to give them. I am using my old receiver so each speaker is driven by it's own 110 watt amp. This has proved to be more than adequate I have not been able to drive the amp or the speakers to noticeable distortion up to levels where I start blowing fuses in the main speakers.
The array is very solid and the ceiling is made of osb on the studs and sheetrock over the osb. I can still shake the projector a little when I run the test DVD.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks Steve. I'm not super loud listener, but, sometimes stuff just sneaks up on ya.

Do your Maggies and the IB blend together pretty well? I've been considering Maggies for my 2 channel rig that will go downstairs. I have a garage on the other side of the wall they would go on so another IB would be the best option... for me :)

Rwilliek, let us know how those DPL's are. They are also on my short list along with IB15's from AE. My previous set was made with the Dayton IB 15's from Parts Express. They were great for what I paid ( $180 for 2 drivers AND a 240watt amp... used) but for the current $150+ plus price tag I suspect I can do better.

My worry is that line ( Pe IB15) has been around for a while. If I have to buy 2 at a time, the others might not be available... The drivers from AE are $400 for 4, so, that would be done in one pop!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chad:

This is kind of back on topic. I find the blend is pretty much seamless if I keep the crossover frequency to 80Hz or below. The Audyssey software in the Denon 3808 set the front crossover to 60Hz and the rear to 40Hz, it sounds great right there so for now I am leaving it but I might try both F/R at each Freq. I am using my old surround amp to drive the woofers. After Audyssey did the EQ I played with the bass control and found that turning the bass all the way up and backing off the main volume (of the sub amp of course) I get a little better low end extension without to much bass at the top end (well the top being 60Hz). I need to build an amp with a slope such that the gain goes up as the frequency goes down (maybe 6 or 12db per octave) and then of course a low pass cutoff at 5 or 10Hz. I find that for movies I tend to turn up the sub for the effects but for music I don’t want to be overpowered by the bass. With the current setup the change in bass (for music) is subtle in that I don’t bring up the bass level a great deal but the effect just blows me away as bass guitars, organ, bottom end of the piano just come alive and are a much larger part of the music than ever before. IB subwoofers add incredible clarity to the bottom end like I never knew existed. Subtle, like a baseball bat up side the head!

Steve
http://www.kn7f.com/Theater/

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very cool. If you guys want some deep, gut wrenching stuff check out the last 1/4 of the movie The Mist. It had my wife crying it was so low and consistent.. Organ music gets her everytime...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IB is complete - well mostly.......

The IB itself is completed, subs mounted, and the baffle is mounted to the wall.....and its been running.....I needed to do some work to my car stereo amp, so I brought it in, fixed it, and decided to run it off of one of the boat batteries (they are in for the winter).

I was blown away by the output...and my car amp puts out about half of the Behringer ep1500 that should be here tomorrow.

I'll post some pictures later today.

Robbie

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha ha - I know - I didn't frame the wall. On hindsite, I should have added a stud before building the manifold. They are actually 22-inches apart.

Robbie

1 - 20 of 31 Posts