Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried installing an IB in a car? It seems that by cutting a hole in your car somewhere and installing the sub so that the rear hangs out into the open you could get very good results. Although your car would be "one of those" that rolls down the street rattling everything nearby.

Are there any flaws with my logic? Any reasons this wouldn't work?

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
One of the guys from Rockfordfosgate has a mustang with two 18" free air and it sounds good, but like you said, everything rattles in the trunk:hsd:, you have to seal the trunk from the front of the car really good!! using a lot of Dynamat!!:bigsmile:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
We use to take a large piece of 3/4" MDF and mount a 15" sub to it, then mount the board to the rear of the seat. We didn't seal anything back then (early 80's), then slap a couple of tweets up front and we were in hog heaven.

I think sealing it off would be the real challenge. With fold down rear seats and vented rear decks, there is a lot of sealing to do. If you do have fold down rear seats, you'll probably want to install a wall behind them so that sealing will be more solid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is a subaru impreza wagon that is undergoing some heavy modification already. I'm likely to be cutting away the frame under the hatchback area anyway and rebuilding it. It would be fairly easy to fiberglass the floor and walls back here to create a seal, and I was thinking of having the speakers mount to the floor of the trunk so their backsides are effectively open to the underside of the car (with protective coverings, of course, to prevent weathering) My main reason for wanting to go IB here is so I can have a good sounding system without sacrificing valuable trunk space for storage capacity.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I think you got the right idea to fiberglass it in the back. I am not sure how well the floor mounting would work by the time you got something to protect the speakers from the harsh elements of the road, particularly water, which has a way of getting places you would never expect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not too worried about protecting the drivers. I could build a box under the car and cover it with rubber, so that low tones can pass, but no water can. Another option, which might be even easier, would be to mount the drivers upside down, so that the sealed cones are facing downward, and anything that might be damaged by water is inside the car.

My other big worry is that with the speaker backfiring into the open, my car will be one of those annoying cars driving down the road bumping too much bass. I love listening to it when I drive, but I don't want to force my music on anyone I drive by. Is there any way of keeping the physics of the IB system, while not creating a boomy car?

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
I think because of the nature of the IB in a car design you'll actually be less annoying at the stop lights than the standard ported box in the trunk. I think 2 18's are going to rattle your neighbors either way though :R

How much clearance do you have under the car. Is there enough room to mount them basket out without scraping them on the road when you hit bumps?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. The car is actually a 4x4 project where we're mounting the body of the impreza on the chassis of a Bronco. There will be plenty of space under the car, but weathering needs to be considered, since we'll be splashing through mud and flinging gravel. Another thought I had is that the subaru has a channel running down the underbelly where the drivetrain normally runs. Since the new drivetrain is mounted under the bronco chassis, This space is essentially dead, and could be used to create a large subwoofer cavity.

Basket out would look a lot better, though, so you can see the cones from within the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
IB in a car is a bit different than IB in the house.
I did it once in an old Mercury Topaz. If you use subs designed for IB in the car, you don't need to have it open to the outside of the car; you just use the entire trunk. I used a big piece of 3/4" MDF on the back of the seat to mount the subs and used smaller pieces to fill in the 5x7 holes in the rear deck. Then I used expanding foam to seal up the rest of the holes; they were all hidden by carpet anyway. I wish Dap made expanding foam back then, it doesn't overexpand like Great Stuff. I luckily didn't have an issue with popped panels doing that. They sounded great, nice and low, just was not as punchy as the ported enclosure that they previously resided in.

I do think that i remember seeing in a car audio mag once that someone did do an IB install through the body, but that was awhile ago. I don't remember how they went about it.

I think aperiodic membrane would be better for the car using similar principles as IB (that maybe what the car audio mag had that i remembered). You get really accurate and low bass; i think at the expense of SPL, although more power and more subs can help out there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What I have commonly seen done is building a wall. This is more frequently used in a van. In a sedan, you would remove the rear seats and cut the metal out then weld a metal frame in where the seats where with a square hole. MDF across this area and then fiberglass. Cut out two 18" holes in the mdf. Then the trunk is sealed closed with foam and fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Has anyone tried installing an IB in a car? Any reasons this wouldn't work?
Ya mean like in my old Nova? While it is probably not the best option, it does work. I don't even think these MTX woofers are designed for IB applications,... but it is what it is, at least in this old car :bigsmile:

mtx1.jpg

mtx2.jpg

·
Registered
203 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts