Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am working on a DIY sub for my HT that should be exactly what I need in that room.

I am also looking at ways to add some bass to my dedicated 2 channel room.

My 2 channel room is a loft on the second floor with direct access to the attic. I am thinking IB is my best bet (but if not let me know). From what I am reading the more subs the better. If so I will probably want to do 4 subs total in 2 enclosures to help even out bass response within the room. I figure dual opposed will be my best bet (like the pic below).

(link to that guys build thread)

Otherwise I am totally open to suggestions. Since this is for music I dont really need TONS of SPL below say 30 hz, but it would be nice. Would prefer something that I dont need a MASSIVE amount of power for to produce decent volume.

I was looking initially at this Dayton 18" driver for things, but am totally open to ideas. I dont need to spend tons on this so keep any driver suggestions to under say 175 per driver if possible.

Below are some pics of my loft area. I dont have any of the attic, but lets just say I am 99% sure I have more than 10 times the VAS of the drivers since the attic is about 8+ feet high at the peak and goes the entire length of the house.

Also if IB is NOT my best bet I am open to the idea of installing your standard sealed or ported subs in the ceiling that simply fire into the loft area.

Here is a pic of the front of the house (dont have any of the attic as stated)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ender, nice home.
So you listen to the towers from the computer chair? Nearfield setup?
What are your music preferences?

cheers
I do "sometimes" but honestly most of the time I kick the chair back to almost the half wall to just enjoy the music. Eventually I plan to actually put a comfy chair back there with a minifridge :).

My music preference here lately tends to be more of the electronic variety with lots of bass (think Skrillex, Massive Attack, Glitch Mob) as well as the standard rock (Kid Rock, Metallica, Bush, etc).

I am actually probably going to do something crazy for me and physically measure my room response with REW + UMIK-1 mic to see how deep I go right now so I dont overspend on a sub that goes too high and not deep enough.

But barring that, any thoughts on placement for the IB subs? I am thinking about halfway back along the sidewalls on both sides of the ceiling....

I also plan to use the REW sweeps to figure out what kind of room treatments I need.

For now I am thinking 2" of material + 1" airgap and 4 panels. All 24 x 36 with the fronts having a 24x36 behind it, a 36 x 24 (sideways panel) between them behind the monitor and a panel where the window is that is portable by using curtain rods to put it up and pull it down.

I also figure the corner with the halfwall probably will need a corner bass trap, but I dont know....

Any thoughts on any of the above?

·
Super Moderator
1,673 Posts
I am actually probably going to do something crazy for me and physically measure my room response with REW + UMIK-1 mic to see how deep I go right now so I dont overspend on a sub that goes too high and not deep enough.
REW + UMIK-1 won't tell you your "room response", it will measure the pressure component of the soundfield at that particular mic point, as created by your speakers/room :).
Yes, do use them to measure the low frequency responses in your seating area. Responses free of peaks are generally, perceptually preferred. REW will show you where to apply cuts if necessary.

But barring that, any thoughts on placement for the IB subs? I am thinking about halfway back along the sidewalls on both sides of the ceiling....
Depends on how low you plan to cross/how high the IBs will run. Generally speaking, with your room, just about anywhere would do, though I would tend to place it somewhere above the "final" seating ( near the back half-wall?) position, where the propagation distance is slightly less than from your mains (LR) positions. Seems feasible as proposed with that 8'(?) ceiling, which places your seated ears about 4-5' below.

I also plan to use the REW sweeps to figure out what kind of room treatments I need.
REW won't tell you that either. :)
Only your ears and preferences will. With an open loft and single seat like that, only EQ is required for bass. No "traps" or "treatment". Above say 400-500hz, your ears/preference will tell you all you need. If you want to make the spatial reproduction of your electronic music a bit more focused, tighter, etc., then you would consider, after experimenting with speaker placement, including moving them out a bit from the front wall, some absorption/diffusion, aka "treatments".

cheers,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts