Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1st post here.

I'm buying a new home and currently hesitate between my top 2 choice.

Both houses have a similar room in the basement that I plan to convert to a hifi room (stereo only)

They are 7feet high (suspended ceilling), 12Wide and 20long.
A bit small for my whish but Real-estate in my area is high
Good news is that both are closed with only one side door for access.

A:
- have a crawl space in the front (lengthwise) with about 5000CF behind it
-I could do an IB in there fairly easy
-possibly 4x 15” Dayton would be my 1st choice.

B:
-no crawl space or useable adjacent room (it’s a hallway)
-will have to build 4 sealed or ported box
-placement of theses will be at the middle of each wall.

I never had IB before, only had HSU and Rythmik subwoofer in my current room. (placed front and back). In about any attempted location, I had to use bass trap and EQ to get good sound. The best being front/back by a small margin.

I think that IB on itself would provide the best sound quality but having 4 subwoofer shall give a better bass integration in the room.

What about doing 3 manifold IB in the front wall and space them 1/3 appart, would that be better than multiple subwoofer tower for integration.

My intended crossover point for the subwoofer shall be in the 70-80hz

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly accoustic
Leonard Cohen, Diana Krall, Johnny Cash.

I do not want to shake the house but look for best SQ.

Thanks

·
1,664 Posts
Then for perceptual reasons (inter-channel phase detection), I would suggest subwoofers at each of the LR mains positions (unless your mains are strong to 40hz?), then maybe 2 either IB or in room subs for 40hz and below only, though for music this (4) may be overkill.
Best acoustic bass you will hear in room are 1st order gradients, aka dipoles and cardioids. They inject 6db less power into the room when generating the same on axis response as a "box". Plenty of DIY options for the thrifty, but there are turnkey solution$ like http://gr-research.com/sw-12-16fr.aspx http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130747.0. Use EQ. Bass traps and that sort of thing, should be a last, not first resort.

cheers,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts