Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Well Ive been planing/building my theater for about 2 years now. Next week I actually get to spend alot of money (projector, receiver, etc.) Im still finishing up my room which is 13 x 20 x 8. For most of the time I was planing on doing an IB. Going back and forth between others RL-p18 and 15designs and now with the Malstrom X out and available.

My plan is for 4 Ficar IB18's and an EP2500. I have never heard an IB before, now granted Im sure I wont be disappointed either. I have only read about them. I guess this is a last minute check as to see if there is another option out there. As far as budget using the IB setup gives me about $1100. Im sure this is a no brainer, but you never know I could have missed something. Even though comparing an IB to a ported or sealed sub is like Apples to Oranges, I guess will focus on output and sound quality? :dontknow:

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
I agree as well. The only other option to consider would be the LLT design which would give you more output down low and the flexibility of placement in the room. With four 18" LLT's though you would have to budget a lot of floor space :bigsmile:. That's one of the big advantages IMO of the IB. But I'm also in the same boat as you. Read about them but never actually heard one. I've also never read anything bad about them.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You can enclose a portion of the IB chamber and port it to create a multi driver LLT. You'll gain clean output and more solid extension over the IB. The rolloff below tune will be faster than the rolloff of an IB, but since we're talking below 10hz, it wouldn't matter much.

·
Registered
430 Posts
In order to create a lot of deep bass, you need for your speakers to displace a lot of air (Vd)

The advantages of IB is you can put a lot of subwoofers in your room without taking up space, which means a LOT of Vd.

At my next house, I will have IB subs because I want more displacement without taking up any floor space, however, you really should place test enclosures in various locations and do measurements to find where the frequency response is the best. You don't want to start cutting holes for various manifolds only to find out you have a huge 35hz null at the listening position...or worse.

Do some homework, then do some cutting! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts