Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the IC chips and the blown fuses on this TV but we were unable to make one solder connection on one of the pins of one of the IC chips. When we removed the solder it left a brown circle on the board around the hole that this pin goes through. We tried a few times to solder this pin to the board but the solder wouldn't hold.

Did I ruin the board? I don't have control of the red convergence horizontally but I have control of everything else. This was purchased in January of 2004.

Am I SOL?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Didn't I answer this already?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, you told me to start a new thread and ask the question again, sort of.

There is no way to know with this little information.

You will need to bridge the connection from the trace that remains to the pin. If you use it with a pin not connected, you may or may have damaged the IC.

Please start a new thread in the Sony forum and include the details such as the model of the set, the chips used, the vendor, and how much you paid, everything you checked in the circuit, the pin number and which chip, etc. Others may find the information useful and you may get some specific help.
I have no idea what you mean by bridge the connection from the trace.

Here is the Chips used: (STK392-570) Sanyo, MCM electric, $19 each.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Actually, I said

"There is no way to know with this little information. You will need to bridge the connection from the trace that remains to the pin. If you use it with a pin not connected, you may or may have damaged the IC."

and told you to start a new thread with all of the details, like the pin number, etc.

If you want specific information, you have to give the details. There is a very thorough discussion of these repairs in the thread that you posted originally. Read the first ten posts carefully.

I would try bridging the connection, verify everything suggested in the thread, and see if you damaged the chip. If it still does not work and you have checked the stuff suggested, there is a good chance that you did.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it appears I don't have the knowledge to answer your questions thoroughly enough. I have read your information and I guess I could have resistors out. My main question is...Did I ruin the board? If I can't make a solder joint on one pin it seems to me that I might have ruined the board. That is the crux of my question. Surely someone would be able to tell me that answer because that isn't really TV related, more soldering related. I looked at the schematics of the chips I purchased and they all look relevant.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Like I said, you need to bridge the pin to what is left of the trace on the board. If you can't do that, then yes, you may need to replace the board. It is just not that big of a problem to do, however. Traces lift up sometimes and you repair them by making a bridge, sometimes with the pin itself, sometimes with a bit of wire, sometimes with a copper trace from a roll of the stuff. You may have to scrape the coating off of the remaining trace to get down to the copper.

You might do better taking the board to a tech if you can find one who will work on it.

If you don't feel that you can answer the questions, or complete the job, I suggest that you turn it over to a professional.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trace is what exactly? And define bridge, I think I know what you are saying but need clarification? I will look up the words and see if I can figure it out but I can't make this clear enough, I dont know what you are saying. Can you say it in laymens terms. I am not taking it to a professional, it will go the garbage before that, not worth the $400 service on a TV that isn't worth that. Thanks for all your help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A trace is one of the runs of copper on the circuit board that the signals follow to get to the pins of the ICs.

A bridge is something to connect across the distance where the trace is missing, to make a connection to the pin.

Many shops will just solder the parts in and repair the connection for well under $100. You never know until you ask.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, thanks. That is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts