Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
It all depends on the driver geometry of the floor-stander. Driver locations are not random, they are a major consideration in design. If you can maintain the exact center-to-center spacings, distances to baffle edges and baffle width, it would work. That's highly unlilkely, nor can you simply turn it on its side without getting into a lot fo the same issue.

Your best options are to get the matching CC for your existing speakers, or replace them with a matched LCR set (my choice when no matching CC could be found).

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
302 Posts
Every design is a compromise, it all depends on what tradeoffs you find acceptable.

The beauty of DIY is we get to choose what we trade off. Rodny kept things as close to stock as he could, and still noticed a difference; he traded low end FR flatness for a more acceptable form factor, and would have traded the cost of the EQ for improved flatness had he not already had the EQ. Conversely, I bet a simple crossover change would have had a similar effect - many paths are available.

You're already trading form factor for screen location/elevation/cost, in an attempt to match timbre. That's reasonable because LCR timbre differences are quite noticable as sounds move across the screen, while a lot of the form-related issues are not as noticable. I suggested a matching CC because the mfr should have maintained timbre while addressing the issues that accompany the horizontal form factor. Unfortunately, looking at Yamaha's line, I don't see any 3-way CC's, much less a matching CC...

That leaves Rodny's approach as the best option if a full-sized floor-stander is unacceptable. Next best would require basic FR measurement and XO design skills, so you could build whatever box configuration you wanted using 777 drivers and XO, then modify the XO to get the sound you want as well. 3-way CCs are one good way to avoid a lot of horizontal form factor issues.

Have fun,
Frank

1 - 2 of 2 Posts