Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been dealing with the floor-standing center speaker dilemma, and I was wondering if anyone has simply taken a floor-stander and modified it to fit sideways or even put the guts into a DIY cabinet that's shorter or even horizontal. Mine have a tweeter, a 5" and two 8" drivers... what if I made a horizontal box of the same volume and swapped them out?

I've also looked into the AT screens and I think that would be better, but I don't have $10,000...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not keep it as a Floorstander in the Center:1eye:
That's a nice setup you have! In fact, that's what I'm doing right now; I happened to have an extra Sony tower (long story):

From the viewing position, the image is placed directly above the Sony.

It's just irritating to have the screen so high.

Note: the small speaker is my old center (NS-C325). I am using two more of those currently for the sides.

I actually stumbled on the Seymour AT screens and it looks like I could get 50% more screen than I have now for under $200 as long as I make the tension device. They sell it by the foot. Has anyone used this with mains behind?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I did my center and it was to boomy......
But apparently the EQ fixed it? It would be a pity to finish such a beautiful build and decide against using it after all...

I guess IMO it's more important to have an even soundstage than to have a short center, so I think I'll be weighing the cost of a screen and additional tower over having the screen elevated.

..then use a bookshelf speaker from the same manufacturer...something with at least a 6" bass driver with enough power handling.
Unfortunately the bookshelves that match the ns-777 have the same drivers as their center (1" and 5") except the center has two 5's so no joy there. They may be sufficient for minimal surround handling, but I wouldn't entrust my voice handling to them. I'm seriously considering buying more 777's...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm happy to stick with 3 mains... as long as my screen works around it.

For anyone who hasn't found this yet, Seymour is selling DIY material for relatively very low prices (8.99/ft for 63" and 14.99/ft for 98"):
http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp

The only issue is I can't find a buy button:explode:
I think the only option is request Google order via email.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts