Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

If you had $5000 for a new projector what would you buy?

5K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Hagar1 
#1 ·
I have $5000 burning a hole in my pocket and can't decide on what to buy. Dedicated home theater room with 100% controlled light. Used on a 90in wide at screen.

Some options I see,

Runco ls-3
Jvc rs15 maybe I can find rs25 under 5k
Optoma hd8200 or 8600 if under 5k

Not sure if Epson 8500ub or panny ae4000 compare with the projectors above. If so, I could save quite a bit.

Anyone have any others, or a favorite in this list.

#2 ·
The Panasonic is getting rave reviews and I think for the money would be tough to beat that said the Runco would also be an option but why spend the extra money if you dont have to. For a 90" screen the Panasonic AE4000 would be plenty of projector.

#4 ·
Runco IMO is overpriced new, they just dont deliever dollar for dollar performance worthy of its price. I like the Panasonic aswell and Epson 8500UB. I would add if your surround isnt all as good as possible save some cash on one of these 2 models and spend some on the sound side unless your happy as is.
New upgraded sub, reciever..premium bluRay perhaps??????

#5 ·
Agree with the others for the price that Panasonic costs it really can compete with higher priced models, I have the PT-AE3000 and it gives a stunning picture for the money and if the 4000 improves on that then save that extra money and spend it on something else :bigsmile:

#6 ·
I'll bet you could find a new rs25 or LS-5 real close to $5k or a rs15 in the mid to low 3's. But I agree, if the rest of your components are not up to a $5k projector the $2k panny throws a nice image and spend the remainder upgrading your other weak links. I bought my RS10 a year ago and have been fortunate to have demo'd the panny, epson and planar in my theater after I had the rs10. In some ways there are big differences between them all and in others not as much as you would think. I definately prefer lcos and this level dlp over current lcd though - but lcd is catching up. Good luck!

#10 ·
The JVC's are my choice in that price range. I saw the rs-10 demo at a local store and it is fantastic...:T

#13 ·
#16 ·
JVC unless you need to buy a screen too on that budget. You don't want a great PJ on shabby screen.

Of course If it were my 5000 I'd get a panny 4000 and spend the rest on other parts of my system, but I'm not a big believer of spending big on PJs since they always improve so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.