Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I stumbled upon this forum around two weeks ago as I was looking for ideas about painting a screen for my projector. What a wealth of information!!!

I'm torn between the cream & sugar and Black Widow screen colours. Leaning more towards the BW because the PJ will be used for video games (room lit up; ambient light) as well movies. I will be using a Benq MP522 PJ (xga, 2000 lumens and 1000:1 contrast) to project an image with approx 105" diagonal. Will be painting over the drywall, primed with Kilz2.

Anyway, I have become really confused about the BW mix. I know that it uses the aluminum creatix AAA fine, but there seems to be several diffferent bases that have been tested and talked about at different times.

Black Widow (Bermuda Beige 4:1)

Black Widow (Bare Beige 4:1)

What is the current recommended mix?

I live in Canada, and we don't have a Lowes nearby; only Home Depot; Sherwin Williams; and af ew other smaller outfits.

Thanks in advance.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Whatsup,

Welcome to the Shack!

You threw me for a loop there for a moment, I could have sworn that "Bare Beige" was a typo; but I just tracked it down and it really was a base color under consideration for use in making BW. "Bare Beige" is a sister color to "Bermuda Beige", but it was never recommended in an official mix. I certainly understand your confusion about it. Sorry about that.

The only recommended base color for Auto Air Aluminum (fine) is paint that has been tinted to match "PPG-Bermuda Beige 427-2". It has been found that some brands of paints are better than others for use as a base paint for BW; since you have a Home Depot nearby, use Behr #1850 with the tint formula below.

F - Red Oxide 0-1-1
C - Yellow Oxide 0-2-1
B - Lamp Black 0-1-0

Any Home Depot can mix you a quart from the above formula. Simply add 8 ounces of AAA-F to the paint and mix well with a squirrel-cage stirrer using an electric drill and you're golden - well, actually a neutral gray. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Another hearty welcome to th shack!

This isn't just for you, but for anyone out there, all the official information about Black Widow is in the main Black Widow sticky thread. Everything else down in here is just people playing around with experimental ideas.

Don already hooked you up I see! :)
Let us know how it turns out and don't be shy about asking any questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick reply.

I've located a source for the AAA at a local artist supply store, and the Home depot is nearby.

I do have access to Sherwin Williams and PPG paints through smaller local stores. Do you think I should try to get a PPG base instead of the Behr?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Whatsup,

Welcome to the Shack!

You threw me for a loop there for a moment, I could have sworn that "Bare Beige" was a typo; but I just tracked it down and it really was a base color under consideration for use in making BW. "Bare Beige" is a sister color to "Bermuda Beige", but it was never recommended in an official mix. I certainly understand your confusion about it. Sorry about that.

The only recommended base color for Auto Air Aluminum (fine) is paint that has been tinted to match "PPG-Bermuda Beige 427-2". It has been found that some brands of paints are better than others for use as a base paint for BW; since you have a Home Depot nearby, use Behr #1850 with the tint formula below.

F - Red Oxide 0-1-1
C - Yellow Oxide 0-2-1
B - Lamp Black 0-1-0

Any Home Depot can mix you a quart from the above formula. Simply add 8 ounces of AAA-F to the paint and mix well with a squirrel-cage stirrer using an electric drill and you're golden - well, actually a neutral gray. :bigsmile:
Now is that for a quart of paint, US quart? I will need to convert that to the Canadian quart if it is.

Thanks

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Now is that for a quart of paint, US quart? I will need to convert that to the Canadian quart if it is.

Thanks
Good point! I forgot about that...:doh:

There is no way of converting such a tint formula for such small amounts. The general rule of thumb is to multiply by four to get the gallon tint formula, but even that isn't always the case.

Your best bet is just to ask for a quart of Behr #1850 tinted to match "PPG Bermuda Beige #427-2" and have the store look it up on their computer.

Please post the Canadian BB formula after you get some. :T

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I don't remember there being any difference in the tint formula between the US and Canada. :scratchhead:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I believe Home Depot has PPG numbers in their system. :dunno:
I could be wrong, but I think there have been some problems at both Home Depot and Lowe's when it comes to matching a color by name. Don't know if it's their computer or simply the people running them.:dontknow:

I just found a formula for BB sent to me by a Canadian user using Behr #4850 (flat exterior enamel) which is:

To make one "quart"
AX - Perm. Yellow 0-3-0
I - Brown Oxide 0-4-0
R - Exterior Red 0-1-1

I would think that the #4850 would use the same tint formula as the #1850 (interior flat enamel), but I'm not sure.:scratchhead:

If memory serves, I don't remember anyone having a problem getting their paint matched to BB by the store computer, the problems were in matching the True Value TruColor tints like Winter Mist and Winter Mountain.

To stifle any confusion due to deferring formulae for the same color, it is not unusual for this to happen when having a color matched via computer. Different tints can be combined to get the same visible results.:nerd:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think there have been some problems at both Home Depot and Lowe's when it comes to matching a color by name. Don't know if it's their computer or simply the people running them.:dontknow:

I just found a formula for BB sent to me by a Canadian user using Behr #4850 (flat exterior enamel) which is:

To make one "quart"
AX - Perm. Yellow 0-3-0
I - Brown Oxide 0-4-0
R - Exterior Red 0-1-1

I would think that the #4850 would use the same tint formula as the #1850 (interior flat enamel), but I'm not sure.:scratchhead:

If memory serves, I don't remember anyone having a problem getting their paint matched to BB by the store computer, the problems were in matching the True Value TruColor tints like Winter Mist and Winter Mountain.
That's right. I remember that now. The mind is the first thing to go they say...:hide:

To stifle any confusion due to deferring formulae for the same color, it is not unusual for this to happen when having a color matched via computer. Different tints can be combined to get the same visible results.:nerd:
What?!?!?! A computer combining different tints to get to the same end result!?!?!? Just poking fun! :neener:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I decided to go with a PPG paint as the base too. Why not, since the Burmude Beige is a PPG formula?

So, I got the 916mL (quart) can of Pittsburgh Paints, Manor Hall line of flat latex #86-6 White and pastel Base.

The formula for the paint was:

B: 0 - 0 - 1
C: 0 - 2 - 1
F: 0 - 1 - 1

Also, I just painted the first coat of the Kilz2. Wow, it looks great compared to the yellow wall. Can hardly wait to paint the BW.

Thanks again for all of the good advice. I will let you know how the BW turns out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts