Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago a friend of mine gave me his 65'' Apex RPTV due to the inherent convergence issues it was suffering from.

After digging around multiple forums and whatnot, I've finally found the fix including replacing the IC's/Transistors/ETC... all of which I'm more than capable of doing.

The only real question I have:

Is this really a convergence issue? I can definitely see the convergence is out of whack and whenever I adjust it, the settings are lost or the problem worsens and I even notice on the grid that I adjust it on, its not completely square.

Its kind of hard to describe without posting a pic, but to sum it up there is an issue with the color Convergence AND what appears to be an issue with the image being projected alltogether (Kind of like a CRT Monitor going bad) the image is distorted/misaligned in the corners and it if you look at it while watching TV or whatever its just not even remotely square or even.

Only other way I can think to describe is it if you're playing on an Xbox360, your HUD is incredibly hard to see given that the ammo/health meters are "tilted" and very "fuzzy" and sometimes are just completely off the screen altogether.

My cynicism is telling me that this is more than just an IC/Resistor issue and that the TV itself is possibly shot, I don't think I can really associate Apex/Akai TV's with healthy longevity of their sets.

Any insight would be greatly appreciate before I go ahead and order the IC's and take this baby apart :R

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
These sets typically have convergence problems and may also have problems with contaminated coolant in the blue and/or green CRTs. There are threads with info on both problems. Read the first 10 posts of the convergence thread very carefully as well as the ones on coolant problems.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-repair-maintenance/5600-crt-based-rptv-convergence-repairs.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-repair-maintenance/8019-crt-based-rptv-coolant-problems.html

Can you adjust the reg, green, and blue both horizontally and vertically? What do you mean by getting worse when you adjust? Can you post some images of the convergence pattern?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres pics of the corners of my TV Screen (Upper Left, Upper Right, and Bottom Right) where the problem is most pronounced...apparently my G1 Cellphone takes pics at 2048x1536 and it can't resize them here and I don't have any photoshop software to resize it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meh I just went ahead and ordered two new IC's - the ones inside my Apex were STK392-020's but per your guide you recommended the STK392-040's which I see more people using given their higher amp'age and whatnot...I'll post how it goes.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The line looks like a phosphor burn, there is some misconvergence, and this is a very poor quality set. The tubes are likely aged and it never focused that well to start with. Even at its best, it really would not be very good. I would not put much effort into the set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm thinking the set itself is - it was a $0.00 free gift and I'm only investing $20 into it so what the hell lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts