Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an amp and sub from eD and was wondering if I could get some pointers on where to place the 16Ov.2 D2 and LT/550 amp, an if ported or sealed is the way to go. The room is a garage 28w 22d with 10 foot ceilings.

Location 1 is inside the cabinet I built which also has the receiver, dvd player, Wii, xbox 360 inside. The max area available inside would be a triagle shaped box just over 7ft^3 and is preferred since usually have kids running around. The doors to the cabinet would be open while the sub is running.

Location 2 is an option if no one thinks that in the cabinet is the best place or if the vibration would beat on the other electronics inside:dunno:

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Ported would be the way to go in a room that size, if lowend outout is what you're looking for. Subs have been built into entertainment centers before with out any negative effects. Of course it will depend on how well your entertainment center was built. The sub will be built in a separate cabinet from the entertainment center, correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, low end is what I am looking for. The cabinet is extremely solid, all bracing is attached directly to the wall and the sub box will be separate. So ported in the corner will be ok then? I guess my only other question would be should I have the sub and port facing down or out?

Thanks again for the help

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Down or out doesn't really matter. The only issue I can think of is if the sub doesn't sound the best in that location and you have to move it to another location. You'll have a "corner fitting" sub that is meant for corner placement only. Any chance of making the sub square in case you do have to move it to another location?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The biggest square I can make to fit in the cabinet would be 18x18x36 which gives me around 5ft^3...not enough room for a vented sub from what I have been reading.
I think I will go pick up a sheet of MDF and build a sealed box first and see how it sounds from either position:bigsmile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your sub is the 16Ov.2 D2 and not the D4 that was recently on sale, correct?
Correct, I called in to order the lt550 and the clearance sub, and they I should go with the D2 instead. They knocked some money off the order for me so the sub I purchased (with free shiipping) was pretty close to the same price as the clearance sub, and they gave me some $ off the amp also:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Did E.D. make any recommendations on ported box size for your sub? Since the corner sub volume is 7 cu.ft. (I'll assume that was internal) that would be about 6.25 cu.ft. net after subtractions for the sub, port and bracing. Here is some modeling of the sub.

Orange - 6.25 cu.ft. tuned to 20hz.
Green - 10 cu.ft. tuned to 19 hz.
Pink - 3.5 cu.ft. sealed.

In the bigger ported box, you would gain 3db in the 16 to 22 hz range. All models are with 550 watts input power and the ported models are with a subsonic 4th order filter applied at 15 hz to keep cone excursion within Xmax.

160v.2 D2.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did E.D. make any recommendations on ported box size for your sub?
Not as of yet...I wasn't going to email them till I figured out where I was going to place the sub but I emailed them around noon yesterday for recommended designs on a couple different ideas and I haven't heard back from them yet. The few threads on various sites that I have found on this driver have people at 7-9ft^3.

Thanks so much for modeling out that sub for me:T I couldn't get it to work on winISD for some reason. THat 7cu.ft box looks good to me. I guess my only other question would be how big/long of a vent is that modeled with?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
One 6 inch round port 26 inches long or a slot port 2 inches by 14 inches the same length. Your choice. I should mention that this sub will take 1000 watts in this box and the port will handle the increased air flow should you decide to upgrade to a bigger amp in the future. Don't forget this modeling assumes a subsonic filter at 15 hz which your LT/550 amp doesn't have.

Here's the file of the above model of 6.25 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz. Click on the file and it will open in WinISD Pro.

View attachment 16Ov.2 D2.zip

Here is the parameter file for the sub. Drag and drop the file into the Driver Database in WinISD Pro. Note: "A.C." on the end of the file means the "Auto Calculate" feature in WinISD Pro was used to create the file.

View attachment Elemental Designs 16Ov.2 D2 (A.C.).zip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget this modeling assumes a subsonic filter at 15 hz which your LT/550 amp doesn't have.
Yep...already started looking for one...I guess I should have done all my homework on amps before I bought the LT/550.

Here's the file of the above model of 6.25 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz. Click on the file and it will open in WinISD Pro.

View attachment 9536

Here is the paramater file for the sub. Drag and drop the file into the Driver Database in WinISD Pro. Note: "A.C." on the end of the file means the "Auto Calculate" feature in WinISD Pro was used to create the file.

View attachment 9537
awesome! If you were a little farther south I'd buy ya a cold one for all the help:yes:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got my box built. I went with a slot port and tuned it to approx 22hz. I'm not sure If I like the ported box or not yet...playing a few songs so far messing with the settings and it seems real 'boomy'. Granted this is the first subwoofer system I have owned so it might take some getting use to, but I can definely say that the LT/550 with this sub fills my garage even with the door open:bigsmile:. The real test will be tonight when we pack it in for 'Ironman'.

thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Actually, I have been playin with the settings and found that the 'loudness' was selected adding to the low end, once I turned that off it settled down quite a bit.

My only issue now is the amp has kicked off a couple times and not sure why. I have the 'gain' set at half and the xover at 80hz...and I'm not really pushing it all that hard:sad:. I have an email to eD with all the specifics and I hope they can help me.

...and I really wish I could get the sub to work with the speakers set to 'large' :sad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts