Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snagged this gem (below) 2 years ago for $50. I'm totally smitten with its performance. Now I'm on the hunt for a 2nd deck but it needs to have dbx NR facility on it as the tapes I'm making now with the Yamaha employ dbx. Does anyone here or know of anyone who has a cassette deck they want to sell?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I've got a JVC TD W354 dual deck that I don't use. It's got pitch control, auto reverse on both decks with Dolby B/C nr
It's yours for $50 plus shipping.
Sorry, no DBX

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought this for $200 Cdn shipped taxes, shipping, and duty

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hooked this unit up to my main system to compare it to the Yamaha. Everything on the deck works. I played one of dbx encoded tapes I recorded on the Yamaha and I noticed about a 2 to 3 drop in volume on the Pioneer. There was no pumping that I could detect. When I raised the volume of the AVR to try and match the output of the Yamaha, the bass and mids seemed on par with the Yamaha but the highs seemed a little more recessed. The Yamaha is the better deck when it comes to playback and I suspect in recording as well as the Pioneer lacks adjustable bias.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yamaha made fantastic decks. In the day Nakamichi, Sony and Yamaha decks were the ones to own. If you wanted a pro deck the Tascam decks were really good.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spotted the a Yamaha K1000 on EBay that was reported to be fully functional and it looks like like brand new so I bought it for a fair price. It doesn't have Dolby C or HX-PRO but it has dbx which I'm sold on. I should get it in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FedEx lost the shipment so I will be refunded in the next week. May go with an Onkyo TA-2000 for $40.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: I'm on the h1unt for a 2nd cassette deck

I found a 2nd Yamaha KX800U off of Kijijji so I picked it up for $90. The deck was a little dirty but ckeaned up very nice. I did side by side comparisons with my other deck and they sound identical in pitch and level. Two quality decks capable of keeping up with the Naks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts