Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, trying to come up with a reasonable plan to get a system with decent imaging while not breaking the bank.

I'd been lusting after the Linkwitz Lab stuff for a few years, and since it looks like I'll be getting a decent yearly bonus soon I'll pick up the plans and parts for a pair of LXminis.

I still have my old Kenwood KR-720, and a recommendation for a tech in the area to get it worked over. As I recall it wasn't a bad entry-level unit back in the day, and I used to think it sounded okay. 40W/channel won't really work the LXminis very hard but should be good enough for now. Maybe I can ask the tech what he can do to bump up the output and improve the S/N ratio.

My turntable is a beat-up Hitachi HT-324, probably not worth fixing and I'm sure all my old vinyl is worn out anyway. A buddy of mine turned me on to hdtracks, looks like they make hi-res digital copies from the original masters, so I can start to flesh out my jazz library that way. But if there are cost-effective ways to upgrade my turntable, I'd like to know.

Anyway, I'm hoping to learn some things here, and would appreciate any comments.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Glad to have you aboard, Tom!

I'd been lusting after the Linkwitz Lab stuff for a few years, and since it looks like I'll be getting a decent yearly bonus soon I'll pick up the plans and parts for a pair of LXminis.
Here's a very informative build thread, and here are some listening impressions. I heard these myself about a year ago, so my sonic memory is a bit rusty, but I do remember: they pulled off the disappearing act very well, weren't especially sensitive to setup/placement, and were a bit "lean" in the bass - something easily fixed with an outboard subwoofer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to have you aboard, Tom!

Here's a very informative build thread [link removed], and here are some listening impressions [link removed]. I heard these myself about a year ago, so my sonic memory is a bit rusty, but I do remember: they pulled off the disappearing act very well, weren't especially sensitive to setup/placement, and were a bit "lean" in the bass - something easily fixed with an outboard subwoofer.
Thanks for the links - that build thread was one of the reasons I joined here. I just sent payment for the plans, parts will go on order in a couple of weeks which will give me time to start laying things out. I'm really looking forward to this!

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
The LXmini will indeed disappear so completely and sound so big and precise and clear... well, you're making a wise choice.

Remember you will need 4 channels of amplification.

And remember that they will need sub(s) to get to any kind solid volume. I prefer a dual-sub approach with crossovers at 100 Hz or 120 Hz, turning them into 3-ways, calling for a more extensive crossover. But, no reason you can't grow into that, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The LXmini will indeed disappear so completely and sound so big and precise and clear... well, you're making a wise choice.
Glad to hear it. I have a couple of skeptical friends who think I'm off my rocker.

Remember you will need 4 channels of amplification.
Hey, you're right! Another reason to indulge my GAS!

Hey, does anyone have any thoughts on the Outlaw Model 5000? The specs look like it might be a good match.

And remember that they will need sub(s) to get to any kind solid volume. I prefer a dual-sub approach with crossovers at 100 Hz or 120 Hz, turning them into 3-ways, calling for a more extensive crossover. But, no reason you can't grow into that, too.
Yeah, I'm struggling with the idea of getting the miniDSP 4x10 up front before I know whether or not I really need the subs. I'll likely end up holding off for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts