Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm done with (though I've not "finished") my M-21 in a sealed box.

Let's just say I'm imagining adding a second one to the room to fill it in more.

What would be my options if I went with a second driver?

Would adding a ported M-18" be a poor mix?

Would I *have* to go with a matching sealed 21"?

What about an IB at the back of the room using either another 21", or a pair of something else from Kevin's lineup?

I am in no way unhappy with what I have, I'm just thinking that I might want more effortless bass, fill in a few minor dips due to room modes, and have another driver(s) closer to the seating position.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Responded to questions on the Cult.

Adding a second 21! :yikes: Sounds like fun though. :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm enjoying the 21" that much that I want MOAR!!

Thanks for responding over at the Cult. I've updated the post with photos, and REW measurements, and more details about my current setup.

The only drawback to this 21" driver, is that I'm starting to feel my mains are lacking. But I'm enjoying the visceral impact of bigger and deeper bass.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
The only drawback to this 21" driver, is that I'm starting to feel my mains are lacking. But I'm enjoying the visceral impact of bigger and deeper bass.
I know the feeling. Precisely why I'm working on revamping the rest of my speakers because with the dynamics of the 18" as volumes we enjoy listening, the rest are simply overshadowed:rolleyesno:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sums it up well, Glen. My mains just aren't as dynamic...for what I paid for them, they are OK speakers though. I'm not sure I can afford LCR that comes up to the level of the M-21 though...I'll probably have to find some DIY solution that I can build up over time. I'm hoping Kevin gets the Anarchy in soon, and gets an MTM center designed. If it works out well, I'll be following up with Anarchy based mains as well!

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
IMHO I think a second sealed 21" in the same exact enclosure located somewhere else to smoothen responce would be the ticket. I think it would be neat to see what it does ported, but I understand your choice...

I changed my mind... GET ANOTHER ONE! :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a spot to the left of my theater seats (end table) where I could delete the table and install a second M-21 Sealed in the same enclosure. In fact, when I have time (and I've had my Wheaties) I'm going to move my current M-21 there for measurements, and see how it sounds and measures. My old sub didn't do well there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, you've officially got the sickness. A second sealed 21" should cure it though - can't see the need for more after that.
What, no IB after that second sealed 21" :bigsmile:

No, if I do build a second subwoofer, I'll really need to concentrate on the LCR and Surrounds, as they are already feeling like they are lagging behind in dynamics.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Build the front sound stage and room treatments. If you want a simple mod the Infinity Primus speakers can be modded to hifi. It's a lot of work, but it can be done.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Working on more room treatments now. I was going to have side first reflection points and cloud built this week, but I have to go out of town for work...so that's pushed off till the weekend at earliest.

What do you mean, "build the front sound stage"? As in better the LCR?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. If you have enough space for an IB, then you have more than enough space to properly port those 21"s and gain ~9db of clean headroom at your frequency of choice.

Yeah? How do you figure I have room for a 21" LLT when an IB only takes up an 18" X 24" hole in the floor?

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Yeah? How do you figure I have room for a 21" LLT when an IB only takes up an 18" X 24" hole in the floor?
That is where I am headed... I'd love to have the dual LLTs in the basement if I could effectively "stick them" into the listening room.. sure I can run a port through the floor, but the sub too?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is where I am headed... I'd love to have the dual LLTs in the basement if I could effectively "stick them" into the listening room.. sure I can run a port through the floor, but the sub too?
That's what I'm thinking he means actually...I'm thinking he's suggesting using the IB space for an LLT by porting the manifold.

That would take some work in making the under stairs closet sealed, but it's possible.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My vote is for IB...... but then again I am biased. :D

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If you have an unused adjacent room to act as the rear chamber for the IB, then you can box off a large section of the adjacent space to act as the enclosure. The driver(s) and port(s) would be mounted on the wall that separates the rooms. Check the IB forum for member Rodny's conversion of an IB to a SLLT with the s standing for "structural" since it is built into the wall.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have an unused adjacent room to act as the rear chamber for the IB, then you can box off a large section of the adjacent space to act as the enclosure. The driver(s) and port(s) would be mounted on the wall that separates the rooms. Check the IB forum for member Rodny's conversion of an IB to a SLLT with the s standing for "structural" since it is built into the wall.
Rodny's IB turned SLLT is exactly what I was thinking of when I realized what you meant.

The only problem is, the opening is only 18" X 46" space between the closet and the Theater Room that I have to work with. So I'd still have to use a manifold of some sort. If I get another 21", I would think a box manifold, but with a slanted baffle, if that wouldn't muck things up any.

What advantages would an SLLT have over simply going IB with the Maelstrom-X 21"?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts