Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
I am using old speakers and have found a renewed interest in my CDs from the 80s... I have found songs from the old CDs that sound better than a lot of the newer recordings. I think a lot of the songs (newer ones) are mixed for car radios. I say this because they sound great in the car, but when you play them on a good system they sound horrible where as the older CDs in general sound good, and some sound Great.

You may be right. When LP were used the noise was often significant and so a very detailed and accurate speaker would probably sound bad.
It's obvious you have never heard a clean LP played on a quality turntable with a comparable cartridge, system and speakers. I only hope heaven sounds as good.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
It's obvious you have never heard a clean LP played on a quality turntable with a comparable cartridge, system and speakers. I only hope heaven sounds as good.
I did not mean that no one had clean LP. but speaker manufacturers had to think about the vast number of people who would be using their speakers with LPs. And it is well documented that average LP playback in 80s had lower signal to noise ratio than than today's digital recording. Do you disagree?

Average? Perhaps. There has always been a market for marginal quality at a lower cost and always will be. At my stage in life I tend to try to filter the majority of that out. There is also evidence, albeit some anecdotal, that the best vinyl quality surpasses present CDs; many of the reports coming from industry professionals with long standing reputations for both talent and honesty. This is supported, in part, by the resurgence in vinyl's popularity. It'd be interesting to see if this resurgence sparks new speaker innovation or highlights innovations currently in play.

You may be right. When LP were used the noise was often significant and so a very detailed and accurate speaker would probably sound bad.
I couldn't tell you the brand of turntable but I do know my uncle spent 30K on his table not to mention the outboard power supply and phono preamp etc. He has a VERY high end system however he uses his 20 year old Apegy speakers.

He also has a $1,000 LP cleaner and his collection of music is 80% LP. I've listened to it and personally would vouch that there are very clean LP and...

music reproduction is as only as good as it's recording. Yes... it takes GOOD recorded music to sound good on a good system. You can really distinguish a recording and most these days are just that.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.