Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,
Just browsing along on ebay one day last week I saw some JBL l830's and my curiosity got the best of me... I always wanted to own a pair of JBL speakers and these seemed to be part of what some would consider to be a respectable system, the newer Studio L series. So, i placed a bid and won them!

I currently own the following pairs of bookshelf speakers:

Infinity Primus 150
NHT SB-2
B&W 601 S1
DIY:
Modula MT

If anyone is interested, I do plan to note any subjective differences along with some FR sweeps since this semester is pretty much done ;)

Happy holidays all!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly that! but, in the cherry finish. Found some pics on google.

Glad I snagged the deal as well ;)

They're scheduled to arrive next week weds, after my finals :D

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No doubt there good looking speakers........
I love my SVS speakers but there not going to win any beauty contest anytime soon.
Those SVS speakers are awesome from what I've read. I've wanted a pair of those for a while now. I guess you can consider me the bookshelf speaker collector ;)

The PB-10 has had my interest from day 1.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look even better in person ;)

They're sitting atop their stands being broken in at this point, and I love what i hear from them. Possibly the most neutral speaker of my store bought bookshelf speakers. They're extended in the highs without sounding harsh at all, even with poorly recorded MP3's.

One complaint though, is that they seem to be tuned relatively high which can be good depending on their use. They're tuned to have a hump down low, maybe around 50-60hz. For those with limited space and looking for a 2-channel pair with great imaging and bass these should be a consideration. Those looking for a set to use as surrounds might want to stay away from these, they're HUGE and i could never imagine them being mounted on any wall they're that big, unless you stand mount your surrounds.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thxgoon, thanks for the compliments
warpdrv, no problem!

So yesterday I had the chance to hook up the L820's, and I actually feel that this is cheating for COD 4 (online play). The placement of noises is SPOT ON. People trying to sneak up behind me have absolutely no chance to get me before I unexpectedly turn around and...you know the rest ;)

They're a mere 5" thick and fit up against the wall right behind my bed. These could also be mounted against a corner/2 walls since it has two screw holes on each edge to allow for that mounting solution. The fact that they're so slim is IDEAL for this room. They also pack way more of a punch than I expected...I remember explaining to a friend online that these are pretty much little subs on a wall (I sit rather close, maybe this is why) since explosions actually have that transient punch to make a person jump, set to small and crossed over at 80hz!

More of a review to come...for now I am thinking about bidding on a new pair to replace the l830's only because once I get my LCD wall mounted they would look much better up against the wall beside the TV. And the living room system has been in need of a pair of decently bassy bookshelf speakers and the L830's have gobs of bass for their size, and a pleasant midrange to match.

Take care all :nerd:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I had a chance to do some in-room measurements two days ago. The results will be posted here no later than tomorrow.

To begin, my measurement equipment is the ecm/phantom power combo spoken about in the REW forum. The speakers measure relatively flat down to 30 hz on large (l830's) in this room. There is a huge problem around 120hz to 400hz hz that i think my room is responsible for.

Will report back with updates asap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I picked up a pair of the L810s from the Harman ebay store. My excuse was that I need a pair of speakers for my workout room. These are way overkill for that purpose, but how could I pass on the price. I have an ulterior motive as well. I'd like to convince my wife that a bookshelf system in the bedroom was a good idea. I wanted to show her in person a very inexpensive, on wall speaker.

For a first listening, I placed them on top of my B&W604s, hooked them up and played some stereo music through them. I was initially very pleased with the sound. If I sat the right way to get the tweeter(s) at about ear level, they also seemed to have much better imaging than my B&Ws, though this might be expected when comparing a bookshelf to a floorstander.

I returned to listening to them a few days later and immediately noticed a rattling / buzzing noise coming from one of the speakers. I swapped them around and it followed the speaker. I was listening to Kid A and something hit a frequency that really brought the noise out. I swapped to a different disk and I had to go put my ear to the speaker to find the noise, but once I found it, I could hear it at the listening position again.

Bummer. Really sounds like a blown woofer. Maybe I know why they were returned the first time. Only certain sounds or frequencies make the noise really prominent so maybe it was missed in the remanufacturing.

I sent an email back to the store. I guess I'll see how good their customer service is after you've already paid them and left good feedback. I expect that they will take care of me, but we'll see.

G

·
Hey everyone, i'm new to this forum, i have chance to get these jbl l830 for cheap but was wondering how they would match up with my paradigm center speaker, thanks in advance

G

·
Hey Exocer

How are those jbl l830s sounding these days, i still haven't pulled the trigger on them yet, can't find many reviews on them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey everyone, i'm new to this forum, i have chance to get these jbl l830 for cheap but was wondering how they would match up with my paradigm center speaker, thanks in advance
You don't want to mix speaker brands and in many cases not even different series from the same speaker company. Its all about voice matching, so as the sound travels from one speaker to another the timbre stays the same.
About the JBL Studio L series, that is a great line of speakers, and certainly for what they can be had for online. I bought a pair of the L890s most of two years ago and they can deliver the goods.

bmd said:
I returned to listening to them a few days later and immediately noticed a rattling / buzzing noise coming from one of the speakers. I swapped them around and it followed the speaker. I was listening to Kid A and something hit a frequency that really brought the noise out. I swapped to a different disk and I had to go put my ear to the speaker to find the noise, but once I found it, I could hear it at the listening position again
Were you running them full range, or did you have a sub connected? They're only rated down to 48htz and being they're ported the woofers won't be protected as they would in a sealed system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Were you running them full range, or did you have a sub connected? They're only rated down to 48htz and being they're ported the woofers won't be protected as they would in a sealed system.
They were being crossed over at 80 Hz and not being played very loud at all. The one that was rattling, you could push the cone gently and hear a nice scratching noise.

One email to Harman and they sent a replacement woofer. It was a five minute replacement job, even with my two year old "helping." This fixed the problem and now they sound very nice. My opinion of their customer service is very high based on this experience.

G

·
I've been looking at the JBL Studio Ls also based on the favorable reviews and good value. I'm trying to decide which model(s) to purchase between the L810, L820, and L830. The room is wired for surround sound with the connections about 8 feet off the ground on the side walls. The two front surrounds are on the side walls about 3.5 feet back from the front wall. The two rear surrounds are on the side walls next to the listening position (but again, 8 feet off the ground). The room is 16.5 feet front to back, and 15 feet wide. The listening position is in the middle of the back of the room. (Let me know if this is not enough detail to picture the room.)

I (obviously) want to point the speakers at the listening position, so I will not be able to use the provided brackets that I understand to provide either a flush wall mount or a corner mount. The speakers will all need to be tilted down, and the front surrounds will need to be rotated towards the listening position. Does anyone have any suggestions which models I should purchase for the front and rear surrounds based on these mounting requirements (and I'm open to purchasing different models for the front and rear if that's what makes the most sense)?

The L830s seem to be more of a bookshelf speaker, so I'm not sure I would want to attempt to mount them. Between the L810s and the L820s, if both are equally mountable I would prefer to get the L820s with the 4-way design. However, with the width of the L820s, I'm concerned how well they will mount on brackets (seems to be more intended to mount flush on the wall).

I plan to finish it off with an LC1 center channel on a built in bookshelf above the TV (versus the LC2 which is intended to be wall mounted) and an L8400 subwoofer. Has anyone auditioned the L8400? (or Any other suggestions for an affordable subwoofer to match the Studio L Series?) BTW, the room is not closed in the back - it opens up to the rest of the house - so I want more power than would typically be required for this room size.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for brackets to use with the recommend models? Ideally I'd like a solution that does not require drilling into the speakers.

Thanks for any input that you can provide. I was happy to find a current discussion on this line of speakers!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts