Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm new to posting to the forum, but have been using all of the great info on here for two screens that I built in the past. By the way, thanks for all of the info on laminate screens and painted screens.

I need to build a screen that is approx. 6ftx9ft. I just moved to a new rental house and I don't want to skim the over the textured walls to paint the screen on the wall. I can only mount the projector on the rear wall, so I can't make the projected image any smaller.

I use to have a 5ftx8ft WA FG laminate screen (which is for sale if you live in the DFW area) that worked good and was simple to hang. Laminate would be perfect if I could get it larger than 5ft. The last screen that I had was a 6ftx9ft Black Widow Painted Wall which was perfect.

I want to go with a Black Widow painted screen but I don't know what I can use that is 6x9. I thought about hanging drywall over the existing wall with 1x2's, but I think dry wall will be too heavy. I thought about building a frame and piecing hardboard together on it, then use drywall tape and compound to cover the seams. I don't know if the drywall mud would warp the boards or if the mud would even stick to the wood.

I've also thought about building a frame, piece together hardboard on it, spray it with adhesive, cover it with a 1 piece canvas cloth and then paint it.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me.

Thank You.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Use the hardboard and fill the seams with wood filler. Seal the backside of this to decrease the chance of any warpage due to humidity. :T I'd use polyurethane on the backside.

As for the wood filler, ask one of the local helpers at your local home center/hardware store which would work best for this application.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Another option, albeit a bit more pricey is to use either Sintra board or Gatorfoam from alusuisse-comp.com , they are very light weight and easy to hang and I believe they have sizes large enough so wouldn't have to deal with any seams.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Zman. I checked the site but the largest size that I see listed is 5ft x 10ft. Most 1 piece products that I've found is either 4ft x (?), or 5ft x (?).

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I too would recommend a one-piece screen if at all possible. Look for a large sign manufacturer in your area and tell them your needs; they should either be able to sell you the plastic sheet themselves or at least point you to their supplier.

While I think I would prefer a thick piece of plastic (1/4" or so) so it would be self-supporting, it should also be possible to get a thin sheet and glue that to your composite hardboard screen. One of the problems with composite screens is that the filler material can absorb paint differently than the hardboard and you get a discernible difference in the painted finish. Even a thin plastic sheet would prevent that.

A member here made his screen out of vinyl flooring on a wooden frame and he was quite happy with it. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/projector-screens-diy-screens/16799-mega-screen-black-widow-flavor.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Harpmaker. I'm going to check with sign companies this week. The vinyl flooring idea is original. I don't think I would've ever thought of that. It might be a possibility. I would worry about it being wavy though. I might be able to glue it to the hard board.

·
Registered
203 Posts
(2) 8'x4' white panel board sheets from HD or Lowes, ~$11 each. Cut down to size, cut a piece of scotch tape in half for the seam. couple coats of paint and it will look great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts