Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a PS3 and while I love the picture, I'm deeply saddened by the sound quality offered to those of us unwilling to upgrade their receivers.

As much as I love my Denon AVR-3803, I fear I will have no choice but to upgrade. As angering as it is, such is the way of technology, I guess.

So the quest begins...

I am unwilling to downgrade in anything. The power of this AVR is nice and wouldn't want any less than 110 wpc, I use just about all my inputs, and I find the overall quality of the unit very nice. In other words, I loath the idea that it is now essentially useless. A pile of trash that those shopping at Goodwill would thumb their noses at.

Can anyone list some models that I should start looking for? I would prefer not to spend a whole lot, and dont require the absolute best. I just don't want to move down everywhere else just to gain a single proprietary input.

Ideally, I'd like an inexpensive outboard processor that could pass the signal to my receiver via 7.1 analog connections, but I'd have to give up multichannel music, and my mood grows more foul when I think of that.

I'd be lucky to get, what, maybe $200 or $300 for my current obsolete lump of scrap, so lets put the budget at about a grand, which is $1000 more than I want to spend. Is there anything that can come close?

:boxer::no::sick::rant::rant::duh::paddle::eek:rder::eek:rder::eek:rder::(:dollarsign::mad::mad::spend::gah::rolleyesno::thumbsdown::wits-end::foottap::hissyfit:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Re: I've worked myself into a rather foul mood...

How much do you want to spend? The Onkyo TXSR705 is very good and for around $650 its a great deal.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

You've got some good options at under $1000, but some even better options just a tad over $1000.

I think the best receiver with lots of good features for under $1000 might just be the Onkyo TX-SR805 for $761 shipped.

• 130 Watts/Channel at 8 ohms (FTC)
• HDMI and Component Video Upconversion
• 3 HDMI Inputs and 1 Output (ver.1.3)

Just a little over $1000 you have some more nice options:

Onkyo TX-SR875 at $1168 shipped

• 140 Watts/Channel at 8 ohms (FTC)
• THX Ultra 2 Certification
• HDMI and Component Video Upconversion (HDMI 1080p Upscaling - HQV Reon-VX Video Processing)
• 4 HDMI Inputs and 1 Output (ver.1.3)
• Audyssey MultEQ XT to Correct Room Acoustic Problems

Denon AVR3808CI as low as $1188 (but that may not be with the manufacture warranty)

• 130 Watts Per Channel x 7 Channels, All Channels Rated at 0.05 THD
• 4 DVI/HDMI Video Inputs/1 Output, 3 Component Video Inputs/1 Output
• 5 Optical Digital Inputs/2 Outputs, 2 Coaxial Inputs, 11 Analog audio Inputs, Incl. Tuner
• XM-Satellite Radio Capability, 8-Channel External Analog Input
• 7 S-Video Inputs/3 Outputs, 3 Composite Outputs, Digital to Analog REC Output

Yamaha RX-V1800BL at $1199 shipped

• 7-channel 910W powerful surround sound (130W x 7), 3 Zone/3 Source Receiver
• Latest HDMI 1.3a (4 in/1 out) specification supports with Deep Color (30/36 bit) transmission, 120Hz and 24Hz Refresh Rates and Auto Lip-Sync
• Analog video (480i or 480p) upscaling to full HD 1080p
• HD audio format signals capability: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio
• iPod compatibility via optional Yamaha YDS-10

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'd prefer to keep it under 800. I really dont want a new reveiver at all, so spending a lot would really tick me off.

The Onkyo 805 looks pretty good for the price.

What about the Denon AVR-2808ci? I like Denon, so that's sort of where I started. Ive noticed the new receivers have fewer inputs than mine. I need at least 4 optical ins, and probably three HDMI ins. The Onkyo has only 2 optical ins. My computer, DVR, and CD changer all need optical ins. DVD, PS3 and future sources would likely be HDMI.

Thank you Sonnie, that is a good list to start weeding through. However, Ive never heard of Denons bursting ino flame. My dad bought an Onkyo and it exploded within five minutes and I'm reading a lot of storis about the new Onkyos having similar problems.

Another concern is how much I could get for my 3803. If I cant get at least $300 for it, I don't think I'll be able to swing a new one. I have a lot of stuff to buy for my bike for spring, so the budget is tight. There are only three on EBay and theyre all over the place. 700, 200 and 50. Anyone know what I could get for the old brute?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

I've owned the 3805 and 3806 and they always seem to do a good job for me. The last Denon I had, the 2807, I was very disappointed in it. It was wimpy compared to the other's I have had.

You must have an old DVR. All the newer models have HDMI.

I don't think you'd have any problems getting $300 for your 3803. I'd put it on Audiogon for $400 and take offers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

No remote... Knock off a hundo for that I'd guess.

It's not an HD DVR, so I have S-Video and optical.

What was the power rating of the 2807? The 2808 has 110wpc, the same as my 3803. I'd love to get a 3808ci, but theres no way I can afford that with all the other stuff I'v been buying and need in the near future.

If I were more confidant it wouldn't burst into flames, the Onkyo would be at the top of my list, but apparently it's amp runs a little warm. Ventilation is no problem in my rack, but they seem to erupt at random, regardless of airflow.

I guess thats what the warrenty is for, but I would be very unhappy if I couldn't use my system for a month or however long it takes to replace.

I wonder if Onkyo has plans to address the issue.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hah, I notice a lot of people complain about how heavy the Onkyo 805 is. That's funny, its' not like its an mp3 player. I like beefy components. I think i could make a new top cover for it with computer fans in it. I think that would help.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

My my, I just have to comment on this heat situation with the Onkyos. On their website, they claim it's certified for 6 ohm output. If it burns up with no load, how is it supposed to deal with 6 ohms?

I really like it, other than the quasi-bomb properties. My only other problem is the sparsity of optical ins. I guess I could use coax for my changer, though. Or can I? I'll have to check on that...

No, no I cannot. So unless I can assign the output as an in, I'd be loosing something. Is three optical ins really that much to ask? Why do I always run int **** like this?

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts

The heat issue could just be related to the amp design. Some amps just run hotter than others though I would personally stay away from a $1000 component that does not allow a 4 ohm load. A class A amp for example runs hottest when sitting idle and cooler when delivering lots of power. If the unit is UL rated, which I think it has to be, then it is tested vigorously to ensure that it will not pose a fire danger under normal (or extreme) conditions. Perhaps their issue is more with quality control.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

The Onkyo 805 is THX Ultra certified so it must be able to maintain a 3.2 ohm load. I have that unit and it preforms flawlessly. The heat issue is not as bad as some make it out to be mine gets warm but in no way gets HOT to the touch. I have read hundreds of reviews on the Onkyos and only two of them have reported a fire or "exploding" and thats with the 875 not the 805.

The Onkyo 805 has 3 HDMI inputs 3 Opticle inputs and 3 coaxial inputs all of them are assignable to any input you choose.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I forgot to actually post my response last night. So here goes: Are you certain the Onkyo has 3 optical ins? In the photos of the rear panel I've seen, there are only 2 labeled "Input". The out must be assignable, as well then, right?

I have found the best deal of all on the Onkyo 805. A coworker by pure coincidence mentioned to me at lunch that Direct Buy has really good deals on Onkyo. So I had him log into their website and check the price for me.

Guess.

Spoiler
$721.91

·
Registered
407 Posts

$26 gets you peace of mind right here at the Shack via 6th Ave.

Accessories4Less has refurbs for $680, still factory authorized.

The silver units actually showed up at Circuit City online for $699 for a few days last week.

-Brent

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Apparently it is factory authorized and I can get an extended warranty. I'd have to pay MN sales tax and shipping to my house if I so chose. I guess I've never looked too deeply into the whole thing, but from what I hear, it's essentially like buying stuff from the manufacturer rather than the store. Another plus is that I wouldn't have to mess around with online buying. I'd plunk down my cash and they deliver it to my house.

I still haven't fully convinced myself that I really need a new receiver. Although the positives are pretty tempting.

I really hate to buy stuff online. I always like to be able to throw it on a counter and demand my money back.

After looking at some of the other prices, I guess it comes down to which one would be the fastest and cheapest to ship. Of course I have to go through an hour and a half of entering information just to see how much they want to ship the thing, so I'm going to bed.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

I certainly don't want to seem like I'm pressuring anyone to buy from the Shack store. I'm a firm believer in shopping around and getting the best deal you can get while at the same time having peace of mind. One thing I like about buying at Wal-Mart is if I don't like it or it tears up right away, I can take it back with no fuss. Buying something local does in some cases give me peace of mind.

However, for those who might be considering this Direct Buy deal... I would investigate them thoroughly. First of all, it cost to be a member and get good prices... and that membership fee is outrageous... along with annual payments. You will have to buy an awful lot of stuff to ever come out ahead. You won't come out ahead saving $26 per purchase.

I firmly believe in warning our members of dangerous companies:

DirectBuy UCC TotalHome United Consumers Club ripoff $3500 membership fee min + 6% on all purchases, former employee MajorCities Nationwide

Things like Home appliances and electronics were usually cheaper in retail stores during sales.
The average wait for an order is 3 weeks, unless it comes damaged, then you can expect to wait 3 months.

The good thing about buying from the Shack is you are protected by Amazon. I've not found anyone online more worthy of purchasing from. If you get a defective item and within 30 days you return it, they will provide you with a shipping label via their website that you can print out. There is no gas and time to have to spend taking it back anywhere. And there is definitely no waiting any 3 months. :raped:

Even with individuals who sell personal items online. Their money is held for 2 weeks to insure the buyer gets what was described and all is well. We had a member buy some used Klipsch La Scala's for $800 and I can't remember what happened, misrepresented or what, but I know he got his money back.

Ultimately whether you buy from the Shack or not is irrelevant. Obviously we appreciate purchases made via the Shack store, but we don't get upset if a member buys from somewhere else... we want the member to be happy. The store is here as a benefit to members who want to use it. If nothing else it can serve as a great reference tool.

Night night... :sleep:

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts

from what I hear, it's essentially like buying stuff from the manufacturer rather than the store. Another plus is that I wouldn't have to mess around with online buying. I'd plunk down my cash and they deliver it to my house.
You're still buying it online. I would second Sonnie. Go with the best reputable source. Sleep well!

L

·
0 Posts

Here is the new Pioneer coming out in June :

Specifications VSX-1018TXH-K
-------------------------------
Amplifier Direct
Energy
Amplification 130 watts x 7

Multi-Channel Advanced
Acoustic with
Calibration microphone
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby TrueHD
DTS
DTS 96/24
DTS-HD
High Resolution
Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
WMA9 Pro
Video Converter to HDMI
HDMI 1080p Video 2 HDMI 1.3 x 3
Scaler
------------ ------------
1080p Component 3 in, 1 out
video inputs
Digital
inputs/outputs 6/1
iPod Digital
Auto Level Control
(ALC)
XM Satellite Radio
Sirius Satellite
Radio
Suggested Price $599
Availability June 2008

That's for Pioneer. I'm sure Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha, NAD and so on are all coming out with mid value product this summer. Take your time and do some homework. If you're willing to wait, you'll get some great product at an affordable price and you won't hit your head on the wall for not have waited 4-5 months! :gah:

that's my 2 cent :)

·
Registered
275 Posts

When that new Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K comes out, my wallet is going to get alot lighter very quickly. That is the tipping point component for me for me to go Blu-Ray HDMI.

I've had a Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver for a couple years now, and I just love how it sounds in my room. I have very high expectations for this new version including HDMI 1.3 connectivity and the HD audio formats.

Yeah! :jump:

Tim
:drive:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

The Pioneer looks like a nice unit but its too early to say if its build quality is as good as some of the others mentioned.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts