Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started my HT build and was wondering if I run smurf tube and PVC conduit do I need to run the CL2 rated wire? Will post pictures later of HT build.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Every place I've lived, if it's in conduit, you don't need in-wall rating.

Bryan

·
Registered
136 Posts
But if you are running 120 volt power it has to be rated correctly in conduit. Also keep power and low voltage wire in separate conduits.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Correct on 120v. AFAIK - all typical 'romex' type cabling is rated for inwall use without conduit.

Bryan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running smurf tube for speaker wiring and 1.5" conduit for projector inputs and future flat screen; ALL 120VAC will be run as normal in wall.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When using conduit , it is much easier to use THHN single conductors instead of romex when pulling through conduit. I never heard of smurf tube?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Smurf tube is flexible tubing meant primarily for lower voltage cabling. It's called smurf tube because it's blue.

Bryan

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Not an electrician, but here's what I have experienced/learned:

Romex in conduit has to be derated. Something about the insulation and the conduit not allowing for enough heat dissipation. THHN wiring is a better bet for 120VAC stuff.

Low voltage wire in approved conduit (smurf tube, orange tube, and pvc are approved) does not need to be CL2/3 rated. I am not sure if that rule only applies in the same room for fire reasons. The worry is that if an unrated wire goes between rooms and a fire breaks out, the insulation in the wire can act as a fuse and carry the fire all around the house.

However, if you are worried for code/permit reasons, it can all vary by jurisdiction and the inspector you get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts