Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

It's been some time since I built my last screen, a 120" monster using Carl's screen fabric. I've moved to a much smaller location and only have room for an ~80" screen. It is in a basement with low ceilings and completely light controlled. I am using a w1070 and will be sitting ~15ft away from the screen. I don't mind painting a substrate, but I will most likely will have to roll it. The walls can't be painted as they are brick/concrete. We may be moving in the next 6 months as well, so I'm looking to do something pretty easy, or just buy an elite manual pull down 80" screen from amazon for $70 to use as a temporary screen. If painting the elite is a reasonable option, I'd be happy to consider that as well.

Any advice would be great!

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Hey everyone!

It's been some time since I built my last screen, a 120" monster using Carl's screen fabric. I've moved to a much smaller location and only have room for an ~80" screen. It is in a basement with low ceilings and completely light controlled. I am using a w1070 and will be sitting ~15ft away from the screen. I don't mind painting a substrate, but I will most likely will have to roll it. The walls can't be painted as they are brick/concrete. We may be moving in the next 6 months as well, so I'm looking to do something pretty easy, or just buy an elite manual pull down 80" screen from amazon for $70 to use as a temporary screen. If painting the elite is a reasonable option, I'd be happy to consider that as well.

Any advice would be great!
Why would you paint an Elite pull down screen? I used to run the BenQ w1070 with a Jamestown 134" screen and it was plenty bright.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you paint an Elite pull down screen? I used to run the BenQ w1070 with a Jamestown 134" screen and it was plenty bright.
I wasn't saying that I intend to, just saying that I'm open to lots of ideas. I decided that I'm just going to mount a piece of drywall and paint it. I think that may be the easiest thing for me to do. From what I can tell with my light control/small screen size/w1070, I am leaning towards painting the screen with Veil or Dover Grey. Am I on the right track there?

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
I wasn't saying that I intend to, just saying that I'm open to lots of ideas. I decided that I'm just going to mount a piece of drywall and paint it. I think that may be the easiest thing for me to do. From what I can tell with my light control/small screen size/w1070, I am leaning towards painting the screen with Veil or Dover Grey. Am I on the right track there?
I used a white screen, but with your size screen a grey screen might work out since you don't need a lot of light output. What about a sheet of masonite... It would be very smooth for painting if needed, and I think you can get one in white to start with (you might even be able to get one in grey, and use a filter to get it where you want)?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Dover Grey i believe it would work well, giving you a surface with gain ~0.45. With 700 lumens (let's say), you 'll have 16,5 FL of light in your eyes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dover Grey i believe it would work well, giving you a surface with gain ~0.45. With 700 lumens (let's say), you 'll have 16,5 FL of light in your eyes.
Yiannis,

Thanks for the input. That's the way that I was leaning as well. Going to get some supplies and give it a shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts