·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Induction Dynamics - Room 457

The system configuration included:

No code has to be inserted here.

Background / Specifications

Induction Dynamics is based in Kansas and is part of MSE Audio, who provides speakers for residential and commercial applications. The ID1 speaker uses a 1.125" Titanium inverted dome with phase control tweeter, a 3" Soft dome midrange, a 6.5" Kevlar cone with rubber surround and cast frame woofer, and dual 10" mica-graphite poly cone with cast frames and rubber surrounds subwoofers.

They have a stated FR of 25 Hz - 22 kHz with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and a sensitivity of 89 db. The dimensions are 56"x11"x10.5" and they weigh in at 85 lbs each.

Room treament was used on the back wall and at the first and second reflection points.

Joe's Impressions

The cabinet has a standard rectangle design and was finished with a piano gloss finish which was really well done. I thought the different color on the midrange helped to break up the face of the speaker and give the ID1 a bit of character - I would have no issue leaving the grill off.

Vocals imaged dead center and I did not notice any image smearing on the Melody Gardot track. Vocal dynamics were handled really well with no signs of strain. The female part on the Roger Waters track imaged to our left as expected.

Instrument separation was very easy to hear and detail was excellent - piano, high hats, and guitar all were very good, but the banjo on the Mumford and Sons track really stood out most for me. You could hear every pluck and the resulting vibration - wish I could have listened to that track again! The only thing I noticed that I did not care for was that the soundstage did not have a feeling of spaciousness which I enjoy as it gives me more of a "live" feeling. Low end has good impact and was not boomy.

Overall, I enjoyed this system as it had the instrument detail I like - it was right at the cusp of my top five for the weekend.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Looks like these are among the smaller of the speakers that Induction Dynamics produce. I wonder if that clean detailed sound translates to their larger offerings as well. If so, I think the ID 1.15 and 1.18 look like they could be showstoppers, and I bet they would have made the top 5!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As a speaker builder Im wondering what design characteristics are responsible for the "lack of soundstaging"...?
Is it in the crossover components ? cabinet design ?
Im sure its not all related to driver selection

Wishing in these reviews were more technical specs on the crossover components and design....:yes:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Looks like these are among the smaller of the speakers that Induction Dynamics produce. I wonder if that clean detailed sound translates to their larger offerings as well. If so, I think the ID 1.15 and 1.18 look like they could be showstoppers, and I bet they would have made the top 5!
Actually, the only speakers in the lineup bigger than the ID1 are the two you mentioned. There are three-way and two-way bookshelf speakers in a few configurations, as well as center channels.

The ID1.18 is a truly massive speaker. The only time I've heard it is at CEDIA, and that was several years ago and at a loud trade show which is hardly a great place to get an impression of the finer qualities of a loudspeaker. I can't say personally how it compares to the ID1.

·
Registered
868 Posts
As a speaker builder Im wondering what design characteristics are responsible for the "lack of soundstaging"...?
Is it in the crossover components ? cabinet design ?
Im sure its not all related to driver selection

Wishing in these reviews were more technical specs on the crossover components and design....:yes:
I was at RMAF helping to set up and work the Induction Dynamics and (mostly) Phase Technology rooms (they are sister companies). We were able to achieve a little bit better soundstage with the Phase Tech products in their hotel room than the guys in the Induction Dynamics room were (identical rooms). They were saying that they've heard better soundstaging from the ID1. Joe (ALMFamily) visited both rooms and his comments on both seem to reflect this.

I think that obviously speaker design plays a huge part in how a speaker soundstages, and it seems to have a lot to do with maintaining a reasonably even dispersion throughout most of the frequency spectrum. But the room can have a large effect as well, and I think the small rooms we had at RMAF were more kind to the Phase Tech speakers than they were to the larger Induction Dynamics speakers.

You can read a bit about the crossover design (called S4X) on the website, but it's more of an overview of key features and doesn't get into the nitty-gritty details.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts