Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am brand new to this and have been trying to learn about speaker building. This may seem like a dumb question, but the answer will help me understand more than I knew before :smile:

Would it be possible to not have an extra room, but just have a cylinder from each woofer go out through the exterior wall? You would have to have a filtering system to keep weather, bugs, dust, etc... out and not allow them into the house through these openings, but would that solve any issue of size and volume of free air to come into the sub-woofer system?

Thanks
Kerry

·
Registered
264 Posts
You could do it, but unless you live in the middle of a lot of acres to allow the sound to decay away, you'll be severely limited as to how loud it can be. Low frequencies [~1130 ft_sec./20 Hz = ~ 56.5 ft long WL] travel a long ways at high intensity and folks don't like having stuff rattle, upset pets, some children for no apparent reason.

GM

·
Registered
26 Posts
The hole would have to be VERY short or it would have to be angled so that the outside diameter of the hole was 2 or 3 times larger than the diameter of the woofer in order for the pressure in the tube to not affect frequency response.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Unless quite long it will be so far above the sub's BW that it won't matter.

GM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I did not realize the sound would also go outside. I think that tells me everything that I need to know about that setup. I just learned a bit more than I new before. Did I mention that I was brand new to this? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts