Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking for a new set of speakers and found Infinity Primus 363 set for a good price.. I was curious to what you all thought of these speakers good bad or any comment would be good..

I currently have a set of Sony MM 600H Mains and a newer center probally which is NOT a good Timbre mnatch..

Here are the Infinity Primus Speakers the specs look good:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P363BK/Infinity-Primus-P363.html

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking for a new set of speakers and found Infinity Primus 363 set for a good price.. I was curious to what you all thought of these speakers good bad or any comment would be good..

I currently have a set of Sony MM 600H Mains and a newer center probally which is NOT a good Timbre mnatch..

Here are the Infinity Primus Speakers the specs look good:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P363BK/Infinity-Primus-P363.html
Hello,
Infinity Primus are truly one of the finest budget speaker series out there. They sound excellent and benefit greatly from the R&D at Harman International.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
The Primus 363s are typical Harman designs: flat/smooth on axis response, with wide & consistent off-axis response. The latter is important for a couple of reasons: first, listeners sitting outside the sweet spot will still hear good sound; second, when sound directly from the speaker is combined with sound reflected off nearby walls, it won't drastically change the timbre of the speaker. If you're patient, Fry's sometimes has the 363 speakers on sale for $99 each.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Primus 363s are typical Harman designs: flat/smooth on axis response, with wide & consistent off-axis response. The latter is important for a couple of reasons: first, listeners sitting outside the sweet spot will still hear good sound; second, when sound directly from the speaker is combined with sound reflected off nearby walls, it won't drastically change the timbre of the speaker. If you're patient, Fry's sometimes has the 363 speakers on sale for $99 each.

Hi Yes but will that sale be Online as the one currently going on is for In Store ONLY??

I also rediscovered these speakers how do they stack up:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

I am currently looking to get a 3.0 setup and add the rears later on but hopefully will not be too long a wait to add the rears .. ;)

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Hi Yes but will that sale be Online as the one currently going on is for In Store ONLY??
Don't know; you'd have to check with them. Do you not have a Fry's where you live?
I also rediscovered these speakers how do they stack up:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/
I heard a 3.0 system using those speakers and they sounded fine, but no where near the midrange clarity and soundstage/imaging of the 363s. Keep in mind that my preferences could be very different than your's.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know; you'd have to check with them. Do you not have a Fry's where you live? I heard a 3.0 system using those speakers and they sounded fine, but no where near the midrange clarity and soundstage/imaging of the 363s. Keep in mind that my preferences could be very different than your's.
No Fry's in my area :( .....

Well I am just trying to find a decent set of speakers which is really hard.. I went to HiFi House a few weeks ago and listened to about 4 pairs of speakers.. The One set Sounded good but was about $3,800 a pair way over my budget..Not sure what they where but they sure sounded good..

When I was back home I went to go listen to my system and compare what it sounds like compared to what I have heard at HiFi House.. Well turns out the Highs where not as good and I think the mid range was better too.. so basically it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be Im pretty easy to please..

I mean the Sony's everybody seems to dread are not too bad too me so if that is an indicator of how easy I am to please should give you an idea if what eles is out there should and will probally sound good to me ..

I do value others opinions and if they heard that paticular speaker they are up on me so I am going to have to live with what others think they sound like..I am not going to demo a pair and if I dont like it send them back. I am basically going to be stuck unless they are that awfull I will just keep looking and asking for reccomendations..

I may goto the Magnolia center and give a few speakers there a good listen. I think they have some Klipsh's on demo and will give them a good listening too.. It is hard to buy a speaker without first hearing it..But IF I got to Magnolia I will get some more experience listening to better Quality speakers..

I hope I will learn something from the listen but those speakers as well cost a little bit more then I can pay..Guess I might have to save till I get a better budget to get a qulaity set of speakers..

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Always trust your ears. That being said, I highly recommend at least attempting to audition PSB and Paradigm Speakers. With PSB, there are some amazing deals to be had from DMC-Electronics and if you are able to listen to about any pair, you will have a pretty goof understanding of the range. The upper range models primarily offer more of everything. That is imaging, Bass, Soundstage, etc.

Paradigm makes wonderful speakers, but they are honestly close to impossible to find Online as they allocate large resources to shutting down transshipping. This in turn protects their Dealer Network and provides for some of the best resale value of any brand out there.

I would also go to Best Buy (if that is the only Klipsch Dealer) as Newegg is offering an outstanding deal on the $1,500 Icon WF-35 Floorstanding Speakers. They are being blown out for $700 a pair.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
349 Posts
What should one make of Audioholic's review stating that they believe that they should be rated at 4ohms? I know 8ohms rated speakers will dip down the 4ohms region so not sure what to make of it.

Should one be concern?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
What should one make of Audioholic's review stating that they believe that they should be rated at 4ohms? I know 8ohms rated speakers will dip down the 4ohms region so not sure what to make of it.

Should one be concern?
Stereophile Bench Tested the P162 and found that its lowest impedance occurred at the very top of the audio band and are between 5 and 8 Ohms throughout the rest. Much like my Vantages and Vistas drop down to 0.8 Ohm at the highest frequencies, this is an area of little source material. Torture Discs will do just that, but it means little for Music and HT. The 162's measured around 90db efficient which is above average.
Here is a link to the 162's Measurements: http://www.stereophile.com/content/infinity-primus-p162-loudspeaker-measurements

The P360 is a far more difficult speaker to drive, but I believe that the 362 and 363's have gotten a bit easier to drive. Here is a link to the 360's Measurements at Stereophile:http://www.stereophile.com/content/infinity-primus-360-loudspeaker-measurements

All this being said, using a Subwoofer crossed over at 80hz will take a decent amount of strain off the 363's. I have listened to them driven by an Onkyo TX-NR809 and thought they sounded great. I think the 609 would be also quite able to do so.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Hey, Fellow Infinity Owners!

I picked up a pair of Infinity Primus P363s this past Labor Day at Fry's famous "$99-per-speaker" blowout on these towers as replacement speakers for the Polk R20 bookshelves in my two channel setup.

Here's a question I had for anyone that could help -- although the marketing materials and all Harman-related information claim the 363s are 8 ohm speakers, online reviews of this model (such as Audioholics' review of them by none other than the site's owner, Gene) state they are absolutely 4 ohm speakers, regardless of what any information from Infinity claims...

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, I have the 363s hooked up to an Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver in my two-channel system with the impedance selected for 8 ohms...does this need to be changed?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Never use the 4 ohm setting on a modern Onkyo as all it does it greatly limit available current. It is there primarily to meet UL Certification.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Nephilim,
Sounds you want to convince yourself your easy to please, step it up, go one bit further to satisfied or next happy. As JJ said, "The Infinity's Infinity Primus are truly one of the finest budget speaker series out there. They sound excellent and benefit greatly from the R&D at Harman International." When you add a powered subwoofer to a 3 piece system you will free up the 363's to play more of the mids and hi's that the Infinity's play quite well. I suggest you hold onto your Ctr Ch. speaker to buy the Sub next, then the rears and then replace the Ctr. "If its not broke, don't replace it until the very last"

Again JJ suggested you crossover your sub and speakers at 80hz. I have my system crossed at 80hz and I am very happy. My little mains sing with very musical detail and as an HT they disappear.

You can do better but you'll have to pay more.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Hi All,

I have a Fry's pretty close to me and they have this speaker for $99 regularly so that Crutchfield price is a little hard to get past.
The 363 speaker is a good speaker and definitely a big step up from home theater in a box speakers (which are pretty good in their own right these days).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am seriously considerring some ElectroStatic Speakers sets.. I have heard the Martin Logans some years ago and the sound was beyond good..

I may go back to Magnolia and give ML a Good listening too..what is the downside besides not too goodon n off axis??

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Never use the 4 ohm setting on a modern Onkyo as all it does it greatly limit available current. It is there primarily to meet UL Certification.
Thanks Jack,

But what does this mean for the 363s? If they are in fact running at 4 ohms, do I have the "correct" amp/receiver to drive it in my Onkyo 8555 (a stereo model rated at 100 watts X 2)?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Thanks Jack,

But what does this mean for the 363s? If they are in fact running at 4 ohms, do I have the "correct" amp/receiver to drive it in my Onkyo 8555 (a stereo model rated at 100 watts X 2)?
Hello,
I really think the Onkyo will be able to drive the 363's just fine. If you have an exceptionally large room, then you might run into issues. However, I think you will be quite happy with the combo.
Cheers,
J

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Hello,
I really think the Onkyo will be able to drive the 363's just fine. If you have an exceptionally large room, then you might run into issues. However, I think you will be quite happy with the combo.
Cheers,
J
Thanks again.

I just cannot believe that a speaker with the Infinity's pedigree (that is, excellent sounding for the most part yet utterly affordable) has an ohm rating of 4 -- isn't this normally associated with more higher-end, higher-performing speakers?

Also, should my receiver even be hooked up to these if they boast a 4 ohm rating? What are the benefits of keeping the receiver set to 8 ohms in its setup menu when these are 4 ohm speakers they're connected to?

I'm just having a difficult time wrapping my head around this situation...:scratch:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Infinity Primus P363s have a published nominal impedance of 8 Ohms. That they dip to lower impedances at certain frequencies is a condition found in many loudspeakers. They dip slightly below 4 Ohms between 125 Hz and 200 Hz and above 10 kHz. The 10 kHz and above is not a real concern because so little energy is required to reproduce those frequencies and don't place significant demand on the amplifier. That leaves us with a concern for very limited frequencies between 125 Hz and 200 Hz dipping below 4 Ohms, as well as the majority of the impedance curve below 8 Ohms. It appears that they probably should be treated as 4 Ohm speakers. So, select your amplification accordingly. If the manufacturer of your receiver recommends setting the switch to 4 Ohms with 4 Ohm loudspeakers, you should be able to make the call. If you get distortion or excessive heat, those should be an indication of what you should do as well.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Thanks again.

I just cannot believe that a speaker with the Infinity's pedigree (that is, excellent sounding for the most part yet utterly affordable) has an ohm rating of 4 -- isn't this normally associated with more higher-end, higher-performing speakers?

Also, should my receiver even be hooked up to these if they boast a 4 ohm rating? What are the benefits of keeping the receiver set to 8 ohms in its setup menu when these are 4 ohm speakers they're connected to?

I'm just having a difficult time wrapping my head around this situation...:scratch:
With the Onkyo's when set to 4 ohm's you get massively reduced power output. When their AVR's have been Bench Tested. the output is often around 100 watts or so 5 Channels Driven in 6 Ohms and around 30 Watts x 5 when the 4 Ohm Setting is engaged.

Again, the 4 Ohm Setting is there for Underwriters Laboratory Certification and as a safety/reliability measure. However, there are enough Thermal Protection fail safes in 6 Ohm or default that all you are doing is making it far more likely to damage the speakers. This is of course because far more speakers are damaged by too little power in the form of clipping than from too much power.

Now if you were using the speakers I am using, you probably would want to use the 4 Ohm Setting as both the Mains and Surrounds go down to 0.8 Ohms and while it would sound awful, it would probably be the safest way to get any sound from your Onkyo. That being said, even before switching to Power Amplifier mandatory speakers, I was using Power Amplifiers for all channels for over a decade.

I was shocked when I sold both my Paradigm Studio 100 V2's (Mains and Surrounds) and Onkyo TX-SR875. Prior to setting it up at his house, no Speaker Cable had ever touched a Speaker Terminal on the 875. I was somewhat curious if all the channels worked. To my great delight, the 875 did/does a fantastic job driving dual Studio 100's. Point being, don't sweat the impedance on the Primus as they were decidedly designed to be driven by AVR/Integrated Amplifiers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts