Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a infinity simple 12 using Dayton HPSA1000-R 1000W Rackmount Subwoofer Amplifier to power it. it sounded great until while watch transformers during the scene with the scorpion attack their was a loud pop then rigor set in. the amp says it has a built in 18hz subsonic filter i know 20hz was recommended. was the 18hz to low? im going to replace the woofer but would like to keep this one is their another woofer that would work in this box? i know it was designed for the infinity but just wanted to check my options. any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
You might take that driver out (you'll have to anyway) and see what driver it is, to use along with the info Mike P asked. You probably won't have trouble finding a replacement (don't know about that 1000W into any 12" though :nono:) Good luck and stay strong :sad:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
What size is the opening on the slot port? I'm guessing 12" x 3".

The CSS SD12 would be a better candidate for that box size, tuning and power input. You would gain an average of 3 to 5 db from 18 hz on up over the Infinity sub. You need to realize the Infinity reached it's Xmax at 250 watts, over driving it with 1000 watts blew the sub. The SD12 will take 675 watts to reach Xmax, pushing it pass this will cause the sub to bottom out.

SD12 Kappa.JPG

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
How's the Shiva look in that enclosure Mike? Rolled off too much on the low end? It'd probaby take all of that power better, but if the SD12 looks like a nicer FR it should be great as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the CSS SD12 the numbers specs are very close to the infinity but the power handling will be benificial i did have the gain turn up on the amp half way but the receiver was not turned up that far. if this sounds anything as good as the infinity before its demise. i will be very happy thanks for the info and ill report back when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sorry to hear about your blown sub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The CSS is a really nice driver I think it will actually sound better than the Infinity. :)

Matt

·
Registered
343 Posts
IIRC, Bing oil-canned his Infinity perfect 12 a few years back playing a Seal tune. (it left a voicecoil shaped indent in the dome)
He replaced it with a 12" Blueprint BP-1203. The BP isn't available anymore, but I know of two that haven't been put into service yet - likely never to be parted with.

I'd also say try a CSS SD12 - with the same Dayton amp.

Air speed in any given port would be a function of x-max and Sd, no?

·
Registered
87 Posts
That is a bummer. I have the same build with a 600 watt amp and a 20 Hz fmod filter on there from Harrison Labs. I had it at -5 db reference watching transformers with no issues, I also watched most of Star Wars, Attack of the Clones at reference level the other day without problems. How loud were you watching Transformers?

Hopefully your next driver works a little better for your situation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was watching at about half gain on the sub amp and about half on the receiver. Do you think the differance between 18hz and 20hz on the subsonic filter could be the issue.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Box tuning would be 20 hz with a 55 inch length, Both the Shiva-X and CSS SD12 would work in this setup, the advantage would go to the SD12 with the higher power handling.
How would the advantage go to the SD12? The issue was driver bottoming not thermal melting of the vc's. Seems like Shiva X has a bit more throw before issues arise.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
i was watching at about half gain on the sub amp and about half on the receiver. Do you think the differance between 18hz and 20hz on the subsonic filter could be the issue.
Those levels aren't grounded in anything, so there is nothing to equate them to. If you calibrate your system to reference, we can all speak the same language.

I doubt the highpass centering is the issue, you just need more displacement than a single mediocre 12" can provide. I'd replace the driver with some of the suggestions made here and then go ahead and build a second as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
...and then go ahead and build a second as well.
I would echo this as well. I plan on adding a second sub but until I can afford a new amplifier I'd rather keep all 600 watts to one sub instead of splitting the channels and only have 200 watts per sub.

Just look at it this way, whatever you replace your kappa driver with be it a new kappa, SD12, Shiva-X, it will sound better than your sub at its current state :T

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'm very familiar with this driver and build. This type of box is ideal for a JL audio 12w7.

Also if you upgraded to the Infinity Perfect Kappa 12" MidVQ you would have a bit more room.

You should high pass that sub at 20hz and no lower. I've never heard that sub bottom out with a proper 20hz high pass filter.

The JL Audio 12w7 is probably the best driver I've seen in that type box. But they aren't cheap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts