Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Infinity 1220w subwoofer that I haven't used in a car for quite some time. Does it lend itself well to home theater use?

I don't know if i will go the DIY sub root, but doing it myself would have to be better than my old Yamaha powered sub (with like a 7" woofer or something).

i cannot post links yet to the manual, and cannot seem to copy the TS parameters either without being warned about posting links. The manual is available at the Harman site if someone can check them out to see how it models. i'm new to home theater.

got them to post:

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS
VOICE COIL DC RESISTANCE: REVC (OHMS) . . . . . . 3.43
VOICE COIL INDUCTANCE @ 1 KHZ: LEVC (MH) . . . . . . . 1.16
DRIVER RADIATING AREA: SD (IN2) . . . . . . . . 82.15
SD (M2) . . . . . . . 530.00
MOTOR FORCE FACTOR: BL (TM) . . . . . . . . 10.86
COMPLIANCE VOLUME: VAS (FT3) . . . . . . . . 4.55
VAS (LITERS) . . . . 128.80
SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE: CMS (μM/N) . . . . 320.47
MOVING MASS, AIR LOAD: MMS (GRAMS). . . . 137.20
MOVING MASS, DIAPHRAGM: MMD (GRAMS) . . . 130.14
FREE-AIR RESONANCE: FS (HZ) . . . . . . . . 24.00
MECHANICAL Q: QMS . . . . . . . . . . . 8.21
ELECTRICAL Q: QES . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.60
TOTAL Q: QTS . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.56
MAGNETIC-GAP HEIGHT: HAG (IN) . . . . . . . . . 0.31
HAG (MM) . . . . . . . . 7.92
VOICE-COIL HEIGHT: HVC (IN) . . . . . . . . . 1.25
HVC (MM) . . . . . . . 31.75
MAXIMUM EXCURSION: XMAX (IN) . . . . . . . . 0.47
XMAX (MM) . . . . . . 11.91

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
In a 7 cu.ft. box tuned to 20 hz this sub will handle 120 watts. A plate amp with a subsonic filter at 18 hz is a must or the sub will bottom out at the lower frequencies. Spl will be in the 109 db range down to 30 hz, and drops to 105 db at 20 hz, plus the effects of room gain. Will it be better then you Yamaha? Guaranteed!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. Sounds like a pretty big enclosure, but perhaps i can make a footstool out of it. My wife says we need a footstool for one of the chairs in the living room.

A

·
0 Posts
Low xmax, decent Fs (for a car driver)... sounds like Mike did all the work for ya. Are you familiar with WinISD? If you got the TS params it's easy, just plug them in and see for yourself.

7 cuft is not that big either... I have a pair for a total of 14 and they work great as stands for my mains. Too bad you haven't got two drivers, free dB and symetry ftw :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used it back when I checked out subs for my car.

I guess once I find a volume and port size, I need to add the port volume to the overall volume to maintain the 7 cu ft, correct?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm bumping this thread up. Ironically, I've been digging a bit regarding this driver - well, actually the Infinity 1222W (2, 4 Ohm coils) for 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm operation. I have one such driver on my way - the price was too good to pass up. My focus will not be for home theater, but moreso for music.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually did not feel like trying to get MDF home from the home improvement store, so I went with a HSU STF-2. This sub is very pleasing to me and I am sure it is more powerful compared to the Infinity, since the power handling on the infinity was recommended by Mike P. as 120 watts. Although the 109 db seems pretty good that he listed also. I may still try to do an enclosure one day for the infinity, even if I give it away to someone. I was thinking of using Sonotube since I could get it home depending on the width of it. I can let it stick out the back of my CR-V. I don't think it's too expensive either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In a 7 cu.ft. box tuned to 20 hz this sub will handle 120 watts. A plate amp with a subsonic filter at 18 hz is a must or the sub will bottom out at the lower frequencies. Spl will be in the 109 db range down to 30 hz, and drops to 105 db at 20 hz, plus the effects of room gain. Will it be better then you Yamaha? Guaranteed!
Do you know of any plate amps that have a subsonic filter in the 120 watt range? I have found the oaudio amplifier to be one of the few with a subsonic filter and it is 500 watts. Could I go 500 watts and just leave the gain down? Then later on change subwoofers to one that has better power handling?
PE has some nice low wattage amps, but no subsonic filter, and I don't want to build my own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts