Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to this forum and have a question already. I own the aforementioned projector. About 18 months ago it blew an internal fuse. I'm handy with a soldering iron so I soldered in a fuse holder and put a new fuse in. That lasted about 3-4 months. Then it blew again. I put another fuse in and it immediately blew, as did another that was .5 higher. I was wondering of anyone here has heard of this problem, or has first-hand knowledge of it. I'm convinced that the machine is probably fried but I don't see the harm in tinkering with it a bit more in the off chance that it be resurrected. I bought a China's finest LED for only $200 for now until my budget gets better. I really miss my Enfocus, though. I can't deal with that notorious "screen door effect" that the LED produces. Otherwise, for $200, it isn't too bad. I can't help but think that this model probably has a known fuse issue and someone out there in the HT world probably knows exactly what the problem is. Any ideas or theories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack :wave:

Only reference I could find to this problem are, what looks to be, posts you yourself have made around the web about your fuse. Going by the limited complaints I would say this is just a defective unit and doesnt represent a defective model with a known issue but did you email Infocus to find out if thats the case?

You have already gone way beyond what the average consumer would do to fix the issue (most folks wont take apart an electronics component and do a self-repair). Seems to me the next step, if you think its worth the repair bill, is to take it to a pro repair shop. Hopefully they can track-down why your fuse continues to blow and the disease can be treated rather than just the symptom. Nice job repairing it the first couple of times, btw, sorry it needs more and wont stay fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, thanks for the effort...and the kudos. Yes, I contacted Infocus. They were unpleasant, unhelpful, and extremely arrogant. They will not give anything remotely helpful to your cause. They man I spoke with hinted that he was aware of my unit having an issue but he went from helpful to salesman real fast. I could send mine to them for a $200 bench check fee plus the cost of repair, if repairable. If it isn't, you don't get the $200 returned. Basically they have conveniently priced repairs at a significant enough cost as to not warrant the repair versus a new unit. It's a shame, too, because even though the IN74 is rather outdated (not 1080, nor HDMI) the picture was fantastic. I'm having a very hard time dealing with the screen door effect on my new one. Oh well...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's a shame, too, because even though the IN74 is rather outdated (not 1080, nor HDMI) the picture was fantastic. I'm having a very hard time dealing with the screen door effect on my new one. Oh well...
I feel your pain....between my HDMI-connected 1080p LCD projector and my component-connected 720p DLP, the lowly 720p DLP is still my projo of choice :TT

For me its just more a matter of contrast and color accuracy rather than screen-door effect. Sorry Infocus wasnt more helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Infocus was so arrogant towards me that I will never buy another product from them again as much as I like their stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts