Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the helpful post by lcaillo on service center locations, and the fact that InFocus will NOT sell you parts. I have this LP220 which is worth as much used as it would be to have it repaired, so I am going at this at the following angle.

The mirror that reflects from the projection through the lens is partly broken. I was attempting to clean the optic chamber and upon removing the plastic lid to that area, I managed to break part of the mirror there. :doh: I want to buy the kind of glass used and have it cut by some glass installers here. The problem is, I cannot find out what kind of mirror was used.

It leaves a rainbow-like smudge from the oils (I suspect) of a finger touching it. The opposite side is a mirror too, but does not appear to be coated like the other side is. If you flip the mirror and project onto the opposite side, there are two ghost images projected as well--one image a little off to the right and to the left, making it unwatchable of course, due to the blurriness of additional ghost images. This is what made me realize I could not use normal mirroring material to replace this with.

I'd hate to throw this great projector away due to InFocus or any authorized service center refusing to sell me a replacement part without labor cost, even though I suggest marking it up to make it worth their while. :sarcastic: Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I've found someone who can sell me a used non-working LP 210 for 30 bucks. Would any of you guys know if the mirror I need is going to be identical in the LP 210 to the LP 220? My guess is yes; they both seem identical physically. I believe the only difference is the LP 220 can do 1024x768, and the LP 210 is limited to 800x600.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What you have is a surface coated mirror, aka a first surface mirror. The reason for it is so that you don't get the refraction that a back coated mirror has.

There is no way to know if they are the same without looking. I am sure no one has a parts list to compare.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What you have is a surface coated mirror, aka a first surface mirror. The reason for it is so that you don't get the refraction that a back coated mirror has.

There is no way to know if they are the same without looking. I am sure no one has a parts list to compare.
Okay. If I told glass/mirror sales people I need a surface coated/first surface mirror of x thickness, you think they could get me the same kind?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Maybe. The thin mirrors in these sets may be hard to find. Be sure this is a simple mirror and not one of the dichroics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts