Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that I am new to the physics and terminology, so please speak in crayon. I understand what is going on at a high level.

My goal of this is to get an idea of what my room is doing to the sound coming out of my speakers and to experiment with placement etc. I read an article years back about room modes and that placement can help to mitigate some of it. I understood the article to a point.

Starting with the sub (turning off the mains) I did a sweep from 20 to 100 Hz. There are peaks at 26 Hz and 52 Hz. Sounds like a primary (resonance) and a harmonic (right?). The good news is all the other frequencies look like they can be easily managed through EQ.

So I tried moving the sub around but all it did was change the slope a little. There was little change to the amplitude of either peak. I kept the position of the mic (RS SPL meter) in the same spot.

Would moving the mic help?
Is there some kind of room treatment that will address the two peaks?
Any suggestions?

I can post a graph if needed.

My room is rectangular and the length and width are not multiples of each other. This is also a dedicated room so I have tons of flexibility.

I have successfully created the sound card cal file and am also using the RS SPL meter file.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I like to take 5 sweeps across my listening area. That will give you a better idea of what's going on. Pictures are always nice--just like when we were kids in school, they are worth a thousand words.

Peaks are really the only thing you can safely EQ.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts