Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

Having already build a very big sealed subwoofer using the maelstrom x gen II - lately I've found myself wanting to build something very small. Building, designed and testing has basicly turned into a hobby, thus the idea of a small powerful sub arrived. Plus I have a friend who might be interested in one:)

Target is a 2 sub design for even distribution and [email protected] without distortion.

I wanted something not bigger than 15"x15"x15" and around 20 liter to max 40 liter.

I did not design the subs using their maximum power rating nor their maximum excursion.

I've modelled the following: All with heavy fill.

Shiva X with Qtc 0,75 to give a box volume of around 37,5 L: (250W power)

With room gain I believe this gives more than [email protected]

SDX10 with Qtc 0,707 with a box volume of 19,3 L: (200W power)

This design is [email protected] - not sure if room gain will push it above 100db, but with 2 of these I think 100db at 20 hz is doable.

SDX10 2 driveunits and a Qtc 0,75 with a box volume of 29 Liter: (200w each)

2 units to reduce vibration? not sure if this is a good solution but [email protected] + room gain.

Any ideas to other more suitable drivers and or different configurations? still keeping it sealed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, indeed, overlooked it since it didnt have the X at the end, older driver?

Here's the model in a very small box 23,6 L Qtc 0,707 and hitting 94db at 20hz with 250w and cone excursion at 11mm.

Wirh room gain and 2 of these 100db should be doable.

Any driver in this box size that outperforms in terms of SQ and output?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cost aside, using 2 drivers opposed, benefits?

Reduced vibration?
3 db more?
less cone excursion?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Audiopulse Axis drivers work superbly in smaller sealed enclosures. Their motor linearity is near second to none to boot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Audiopulse Axis drivers work superbly in smaller sealed enclosures. Their motor linearity is near second to none to boot.
Found the Axis 12 T/S parameters and yes, thats certainly one impressive driver alright.

They aren't cheap either and seem to require tons of power.

Bit confused about it, is audiopulse still selling these drivers? Seems they only sell at one or two places and not to Europe anyways unfortunately.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why are all your designs underpowered? I thought the goal was small and powerful?
Because, as I wrote, I don't like to design at full X-max. Correct me if I'm wroing, but running the SD12 at 600watts gives me 98 db at 20hz. Pushing the driver this hard I think will result in distortion? And a non liniar BL curve at those excursion levels?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Because, as I wrote, I don't like to design at full X-max. Correct me if I'm wroing, but running the SD12 at 600watts gives me 98 db at 20hz. Pushing the driver this hard I think will result in distortion? And a non liniar BL curve at those excursion levels?
Sorry, didnt see where you wrote that. It's true that distortion will increase, but whats debatable is whether it will be audible at those levels. Especially with quality drivers like the Shiva, which can easily handle twice the power you have listed at those Qtc levels.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, didnt see where you wrote that. It's true that distortion will increase, but whats debatable is whether it will be audible at those levels. Especially with quality drivers like the Shiva, which can easily handle twice the power you have listed at those Qtc levels.
Thats true. I guess I should just model them at max power and have an equal comparison point then.

So far, the SDX10 and 12 seems most viable, not too expensive, small powerful sub solution.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Found the Axis 12 T/S parameters and yes, thats certainly one impressive driver alright.

They aren't cheap either and seem to require tons of power.

Bit confused about it, is audiopulse still selling these drivers? Seems they only sell at one or two places and not to Europe anyways unfortunately.
They are still selling some drivers. www.partsexpress.com has/had some.

TC Sounds looks set to nake a comeback here shortly (they were under the Audiopulse name for a bit). Small sealed, they are the ticket.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I second the Audiopulse Axis 12". I have a pair and those little suckers pound in a 1.4 cubic foot enclosure. They are power hungry but the EP2500 is a good low cost alternative.

I believe Audiopulse will revert back to just being branded TC Sounds again. The Axis is the equivalent of the TC-3000 which should be making a comeback as well. You may want to keep an eye on partsexpress.com as I got my pair when they were on sale at about half the price, they will probably be on closeout soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts