Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to use an external mic to take a measurement of my room. I have a 003 interface and a Firewire 410 interface. The REW will recognize both of the units in the soundcard preferences are. The output says default device, and I cant change it.

Problem 1) when I play pink noise in my room (through my protools software) the SPL meter is showing signal but it is using my internal built-in mic on my mac, not the external mic, (which it say is selected).

Problem 2) I cant get the pink noise to play out through my 003 or my firewire 410 interface. The soundcard preferences will not recognize either of them as an option for me to use as outputs.

I am probably going about this all the wrong way but can somebody please help me!!

I just want to play pink noise through my speakers and let my external mic take a reading of the room on the computer.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Hey Kahleed, a couple of questions...

Which SPL are you using?

Have you tried using either/or instead of trying to use both interfaces at once?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was trying to use the SPL that is built into the software. I never tried to use both interfaces at once only on interface at a time.

Thank you so much for the reply!!!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Which interface is the external microphone plugged into? Also, do you have a calibration file for the mic?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I just dont know how connect my mic and interface to the software properly. the 003 interface will only work when pro tools is open and the firewire 410 will work anytime. both of them are connected to my computer via firewire. that may be the problem. ????

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Ok, give me a few. I'm going to run through a couple of things on my MAC and see if I can duplicate the issue.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Unfortunately Apple's Java runtime has a bug that prevents Java applications accessing the inputs of firewire-connected soundcards. They show no signs of planning to fix it, a fix may come when Oracle start providing a Java runtime for OS X.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
> Currently, this is about the best deal out there for a full fledged USB based soundcard,( sporting 2 mic pre-amps, each having 48V phantom power ) .

> Click the Pic !

> From what I can gather, this model is being retired , which would explain it's low, low cost .

> You'll also need a calibrated test mic ( the Dayton EMM-6 ) / bought from Cross-Spectrum does nicely .

:sn:

PS : The Behringer UCA202 soundcard along with a Radio Shack SPL meter is marginally cheaper than the above package / but it has a dodgy reputation for delivering accurate low frequency info ( < 30hz ) and is not to be trusted above about 3K .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, my problem is that REW on my mac does not support firewire. So a USB interface should work then... correct?

do you know if Fuzzmeasure supports Firewire interfaces?

Thank you all for the Help!!

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
USB is OK for 2-channel soundcards, but Apple's Java runtime has another bug that prevents Java applications accessing the inputs of multichannel soundcards. FuzzMeasure should be fine with Firewire cards, I believe you can try FuzzMeasure for free to see if it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much!! You have all been so helpful. I downloaded fuzzmeasure for a free trial. It works!! But it doesn't seem to have a pink/white noise generator. It just sweeps the frequency spectrum from 20hz-20khz with tone.. Is that ok? should I try to find a program that generates white noise?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
it doesn't seem to have a pink/white noise generator. It just sweeps the frequency spectrum from 20hz-20khz with tone.. Is that ok?
Yes, that is the most accurate way to make the measurement. I expect there is a pink noise generator in there somewhere though :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts