Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to say hello to everyone.
I've been reading through this site for a couple weeks now and decided I would join.
By far this has been the most informative site I've came across for HT.

I've been an enthusiast since I was about 12 working a paper route to by cerwin vegas at the pawn shop :bigsmile: I also experimented with building speakers in the 8th grade and made my first center channel. Unfortunately my only supplier of speakers was radio shack so you know how that turned out.
I used that center channel for several years until I came across a cheap mission center channel.

I am currently an installer for Magnolia in Phoenix. Although the stuff I do is a far cry from what I would like to be doing. I just recently purchased a new home and will be moving in early march. (Not quite finished) I am going to be building a dedicated HT. This site has already changed my point of view on what I will be doing with it.

Two weeks ago if someone would have mentioned IB I would have been :scratch:
From DIY speakers, IB, pretty much everything on this site I have learned a deal more about HT in general. Its great to finally have found a place like this.

A little about the theater I have planned. Will consist of 120" screen, Panasonic ax100u, Yamaha RX-z9, 4x15 IB maybe go 8x15 in stereo, 7.1 surround, DIY speaker route still deciding on which versions I want to build.
Equipment is going to be located in a closet, HTPC (equiped with blu-ray and HD-DVD drives), dvdo scaler or similiar, Laserdisc, D-VHS blah you get the idea :R
I will be making all of my speaker wire, interconnects, cables etc. Gotta love Belkin quad shield RG6 and monster quicklocks.

I will post a few pictures of my progess on everything in the coming months.
Figured I would finally introduce myself, I'm more of a reader than a poster.

Chance

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hello Chance and welcome to the Shack!

Thanks for the comps on the site... they are much appreciated and we are certainly glad you like it... :T

Now that HT you are planning sounds like it's gonna have a really nice system. You are gonna have to turn into a poster and share it all with us... from beginning to end with lots of pics... :T :T :T

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Hi Chance and welcome..

You will find all the help you need here to build a HT...We have very experienced people..
I will look forward to seeing your progress pics..

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Welcome!

As far as DIY speakers. www.gr-research.com has several kits that are Superb! I own the AV2's and AV1RS designs. They are complete kits and you can build the enclosure yourself or order the enclosure from them. I personally build all my own enclosures. The AV2's are extremely good especially for their price. If you are building in-wall speakers or speakers that must be close to a wall they have a variation of the AV2 called the AV-3S, it has adjusted baffle step loss for these situations.

I have no affiliation with GR-Research, just love the products and Danny's service. The AV1RS surrounds are unreal, they really improve soundstage. I have some pics on my site but not much as of yet.

Darren

·
Senior Shackster
365 Posts
Here is my Chance to welcome Chance(Sorry just couldn't help myself:joke: )

That is one ambitious project you will be undertaking. Good luck and share your progress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be sure to keep you all updated on the progress. House will be finished on the 22nd, then I can get started.

Cable runs, projector, IB, and a possible DIY screen will come shorty after. :bigsmile:
All equipment is going to be placed in a nearby closet err equipment rack. Also will be adding a duct to attic and fan setup in that closet to keep the temps down.

Already had a few change of plans on equipment, now to find a good used Denon 5803a.
But you never know I may change my mind again before I make a receiver purchase.
Now I can finally ditch this old sony 5.1 and polk/vega combo. :mooooh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts