Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Did you log into the router with your wifes labtop & add the 5Gz band?

My laptop doesn't see mine either, I had to add it manually.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you log into the router with your wifes labtop & add the 5Gz band?

My laptop doesn't see mine either, I had to add it manually.
I will have to do that...my tablets, and phone did it automatically.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here is what we found out yesterday when we were testing.

My friend brought over his Netgear Router (different model), and when we inserted his...we ended up with 100-125Mbps via Wi Fi vs .1-260Mbps with my router. Both routers give me a max of 265Mbps in the HT, but my friends Netgear router gives me consistently (so far) over 200MBPS in the HT...where as mine gives me intermittent performance which varies from under 1Mbps to 265Mbps. We also found out that my wife's laptop is only 10/100, and the wifi is 802.11n, and we are getting 70-90Mbps on it too. My tablet, and phones are 120+Mbps.

No idea what went wrong with the old Router (of course it is beyond the labor warranty).

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So the indications are it was the router all along? How old is it?
Yup. I purchased the Router on July 11, 2014...didn't last very long IMO.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I told you that netgear stuff is pure junk...lol really i have gone through so many of those for friends and family. I tell you what my really old link sys 54G is a workhorse though and I hacked a couple with ddwrt and they have run for years and years. i love the ubiquiti stuff. it is solid and high performance for the cost. I use the edge router X and then a ubiquiti AP. so i can always upgrade the AP as tech changes and can use the same router.

http://vpnpick.com/dd-wrt-vs-tomato-vs-open-wrt/

and

https://www.ubnt.com/

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
One thing I forgot to post... I find it strange that my provider says 10Mbps for uploading, but my Router was getting 11Mbps, and my friend's router was getting 15Mbps with what looking like a bounce from a cap at 20Mbps. Now I understand I am getting more than what is guaranteed, but why is it that my friend's router gets me more upload speed? Would it be different internal settings?

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I told you that netgear stuff is pure junk...lol really i have gone through so many of those for friends and family. I tell you what my really old link sys 54G is a workhorse though and I hacked a couple with ddwrt and they have run for years and years. i love the ubiquiti stuff. it is solid and high performance for the cost. I use the edge router X and then a ubiquiti AP. so i can always upgrade the AP as tech changes and can use the same router.

http://vpnpick.com/dd-wrt-vs-tomato-vs-open-wrt/

and

https://www.ubnt.com/
I have the Netgear Router back up and running with WRT as the firmware. Thanks for the info as we are now up to 250Mbps again on WIFI. We did a factory reset, and then updated to the WRT firmware, and so far my router is working fine. I looked at all the settings in the firmware, and I selected WPA-Personal for password security... Is that a good one or should I pick a different one? Are there any settings that I should be changing to improve speed, and security?

tia,
Ron

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Is WPA2 an option? That's a better protocol from a security standpoint.
Here is what is available...
WPA- Personal or Enterprise
WPA2- Personal or Enterprise
WPA2- Personal Mixed or Enterprise Mix
Radius
WEP

I am currently using WPA2 Personal

There are a ton of options with this firmware.:wink2:

I just found this link and the pic is of all the options I have...looks like a great read too.
http://www.howtogeek.com/167783/htg-explains-the-difference-between-wep-wpa-and-wpa2-wireless-encryption-and-why-it-matters/

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I am upgrading my Netgear switches to Cisco Business class switches. I have been running a Cisco SG200-26 in our HT for several years now, and since I am running out of ports, I decided to move up to 18-20 port switches. I picked up a SG200-18 for our LR, and a SG300 to run next to our Netgear R7000 router (all 3 pieces were less than the first SG200 was). The guy that I bought the SG300 from gave me a 890 series router (labeled 891)...not sure if it will be easily configured or not, but if i keep it I hope it is better than the R7000 is.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Today i spent several hours updating the firmware of my SG200-26 switch. I learned that Cisco requires you to do every update in order to do the next update, and that they changed the boot files on a few of them too, which meant I had to learn how to update that with TFTPD64 for the boot files. This last part took me the longest to figure out exactly what had to be done to do this every time. Once I had that figured out it went pretty smoothly, and fast...other than having to reboot after each firmware update, and boot update. I don't know what they did in the updates, but after doing a couple of them the Switch seemed to boot faster than it had been previously.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,313 Posts
Maybe it got tired of all the reboots and simply decided to expedite the process. ;) Glad it worked out in the end - I know it was quite the journey.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Maybe it got tired of all the reboots and simply decided to expedite the process. ;) Glad it worked out in the end - I know it was quite the journey.
I have 2 more switches arriving tonight... I will be trying to get the firmware up to date tomorrow on those, and then get them into the system too. I was reading that I should arrange all my IP addresses to be in order, limit the IP addresses to the number of devices (so if i have 10 devices I would have only 10 IP addresses available...instead of hundreds), and use their MAC addresses too. Yesterday i found out that when you do a Guest account you can do it as a Virtual port, and restrict the usage to only the internet so no one has access to your Network. That is a nice feature IMO. It is going to take me a while to get all the IP addresses reassigned as static and in small groups. I wonder if by doing it this way if it will speed up my LAN...

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,313 Posts
I seriously doubt it will be any faster. Once a route is established it will be kept in the ARP cache, and from then on communications between devices will be port-to-port directly (at least until you reboot the switch or manually clear the cache). If you had a /20 or larger address space and ran it as one flat network - without subnets - there might be some benefit to keeping things sequential, but with the speed of most switches today I doubt you would notice a benefit in your situation.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I seriously doubt it will be any faster. Once a route is established it will be kept in the ARP cache, and from then on communications between devices will be port-to-port directly (at least until you reboot the switch or manually clear the cache). If you had a /20 or larger address space and ran it as one flat network - without subnets - there might be some benefit to keeping things sequential, but with the speed of most switches today I doubt you would notice a benefit in your situation.
We have close to 40 devices spread over 3 switches with switches being 18, 20, and 26 ports running to our Netgear R7000 router with DD-WRT firmware.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Today is going much better... I almost have all the firmware completed on the SG200-18, and next will be the SG300-20. I still have to decide if i am going to keep the Cisco 890 Router or sell it, and keep using the R7000 WIFI Router.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts