Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have som problems interpreting the result of my measurement...I used a ECM8000 mic and used the calibration from the site!

How do I interpret this??

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well, the first thing I notice is that the range you're using for your vertical scale is so wide that your curve is very compressed, making it difficult to interpret, so click on "graph limits" and change the vertical axis to a min of 45dB and a max of 105dB.
That being said, you're getting what might be no usable energy output below about 25Hz (not so bad really), in the high end you're getting a bunch of comb filtering due to early reflections (very common, you're never going to eliminate it entirely, and the only way to improve is with acoustic treatments and maybe you can do a little bit with placement/aiming changes but not much), your overall level is a little lower than we usually measure at (we shoot for 75dB you look closer to 60-65, but truth be told that doesn't matter much), you have some peaks and dips in your bass range, how damaging they are and how to deal with them I can't tell with the current scale (to analyze those I would suggest taking a new scan from 10Hz-200Hz)...
To eliminate some of the noise in the higher ranges and see the overall trend, you can apply some curve smoothing, 1/6 octave might work for you, you might prefer 1/3 octave...
It looks like you have another issue between 200-300 Hz, but again, with the updated scale...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That's cool. So you're measuring at the "mixing position?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, and when the measurement is calibrated I will start to step by step isolate different acoustic problems!!! I know that I will never get a zero reflexion room, but will do mys best!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yes, for most, it doesn't pay to try and get a zero reflection room anyway. Side wall reflections in particular are controversial because they're important to stereo imaging... and too much absorption makes a room sounds "dead" and unnatural...
I'll just suggest you take a "before" of 10-200Hz to get the increase resolution in that area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts