Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to a good read/tutorial on interpreting results. I just took my first measurements(.mdat attached). Im rather confused where to start. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Start with frequency response, which is really not that bad. The matching between L & R is beautiful above 1 kHz, and very flat. The bass could be tamed a little, and those midrange bumps are probably a bit harsh

What is your intention for frequency response? Do you want it razor flat, or do you just want to even out the annoying aspects and allow the speakers be themselves?

Distortion looks good, mostly 1% or lower.

RT 60 shows you have probably already treated the room. Nothing more to be done there. Some might consider 0.3 seconds a bit low, or "dead," but that is my preference. Others might prefer more, like 0.4 or 0.5 seconds, but it is probably right where you want it.

I am blown away by you are impulse diagrams in the overlay mode. The matching between left and right is so incredibly precise, you have clearly gone to great lengths to set up room and speakers as symmetrically as possible, and it could not have been better. Those early reflections, quite evenly spaced, indicate something about the room structure creating those first reflections. Reflections that early are usually detrimental to clarity and imaging, though.

Do you intend to use Audyssey or another room correction program?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. My goal is just to make the room/speakers sound as good as they can. I used the Get Better Sound book as a tutorial on positioning the speakers then slightly moving them around on a grid until they sounded best to me. I made and hung 3 acoustic panels from Owens Corning 703. The room is a room over the garage with only the first half being used for my 2ch listening/home theater. Since its a FROG the walls angle out starting about 5ft from the floor up to the ceiling. This may be where the early reflections are coming from. The couch is dead against the back wall due to space requirements and Im sure getting reflections from being so close.

My goal right now is to learn to read what you have stated from the graphs in REW. Guess I have a lot of research to do. Currently my older Denon does not have any correction. Will be upgrading that soon and can play with correction then.

Thanks again for your time and response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts