Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

In my never-ending quest to interpret the impulse response of my dual subs (separately), I have run across another "bump" in the road. Below I have posted the response graphs for both subs, which I interpret to tell me that both have the same phase: both have the 100% peak in the positive (is this a correct understanding?) After looking a little closer, I noticed that the peak of the right sub is at about 7.3ms while the left is at 14.6ms...? For both, I eliminated IR delay to insure I was comparing apples-to-apples, and both subs are symmetrically placed (flanking the front channel), so they are equidistant to the mic. I don't know how to interpret this time difference... Thanks!

Left SVS PC13U
LeftSVS_1.jpg
LeftSVS_2.jpg

Right SVS PC13U
RightSVS_1.jpg
RightSVS_2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
It appears that the 2 SWs are setup with the same polarity. This is due to the initial upward direction of the first very small peak rather than the larger one. The overall symmetry of the 2 IRs is another indicator in this particular case. Room modes often cause very different looking IRs in an asymmetrical room setup. Peaks following the initial one can be very misleading.

Since the 2 SWs are identical and connected properly, the same polarity is a pretty sure bet anyway. :)

Also since they are equidistant from the LP there is no need to have different delays for the 2 SWs. They can be run off the same SW output.

It is difficult to say much more looking at only the IR.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I fail to understand how impulse can show timing on subs. Impulse is a reflection of reflections. Too many variables with reflections based on a sub frequencies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts