Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope this is the appropriate forum for this, and apologize if it is not.
As I learn more about REW and sound in general I have been experimenting with the Subwoofer placement and trying to find the best positions. I have been relying on Audyssey but now wish to make sure my placement is as best as possible, then add room treatments, then run Audyssey, then add any additional EQ with MiniDSP.

I have 4 subs, 2 are built into my front speakers so are basically fixed in position to the front corners. (GE Triton One's)
The other two are external Klipsch 15" subs and can be placed as follows:

1) Green sweep - Both on the front wall at 1/4 and 3/4 wall length positions, between the main powered speakers, ending up about 12 ft in front of MLP.
2) Blue sweep - Both behind the MLP, ending up about 5 feet in front of the back wall, spread about 5 feet apart on centers.
3) Red Sweep - One on the front wall and one behind the MLP

Here are the 3 options I have available with Audyssey off. (Audyssey XT32 used to set distances between sub pairs then turned off)

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...f External subs when using LFE on Tritons.jpg

The red has a huge cutout at 27hz where the blue has one at 82, blue has much more gain from the near-field placement I suppose.
Am I looking for which is the flattest (red) or the smoothest (blue) ? I cant decide which is the preferred positioning, any help appreciated as this indecision is driving me crazy lol. Green looks to be the worst (all on front wall)

Without room treatments, and using Audyssey XT32 correction, I get the following

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s when using LFE on Tritons with Audyssey.jpg

Here the blue looks best but the green which was worst has the most extension down low? Red looks like something really bad is going on around 50-60

aaarrrgggggg I don't know which is best :help:

edit: ugh, no idea how to get the pics to embed instead of just links

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts

Here are the before and after Audyssey graphs.

Tough call. The blue “after” graph looks best (smoothest), but the green has significantly better extension. However, the green has been “treated” with a stunning 30 dB of EQ correction (i.e. the span between the 40 Hz trough and 25 Hz peak). With that much EQ the subs will very likely be overdriven, unless you have all this in a really small room and they’re loafing.

Keep in mind these graphs are going to be “blown out” once you add the Tritons to the measurement...

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough call. The blue “after” graph looks best (smoothest), but the green has significantly better extension. However, the green has been “treated” with a stunning 30 dB of EQ correction (i.e. the span between the 40 Hz trough and 25 Hz peak). With that much EQ the subs will very likely be overdriven, unless you have all this in a really small room and they’re loafing.

Keep in mind these graphs are going to be “blown out” once you add the Tritons to the measurement...
Yep. now you understand my conundrum, and why I keep second guessing whatever decision I make on placement, then spend another weekend sliding subs around and retesting :)

The untreated red looks originally like the least amount of EQ required with the lowest peaks and nulls other than that sharp null at 27 hz, but then the eq seems to take care of that one ok. Could the horrible mess on the red between 50-60 be attributed to a bad run of Audyseey that over corrected a peak? I agree with you that the green although it has the best extension has so much attenuated that I would prefer to not go that route. So now its red pill or blue !

As to "adding in the Tritons". These are with the two tritons hooked up to the LFE also. But I guess you mean once they are adding in their full range on top of the lfe. Is there any way to test both fronts plus the sub channel in REW using hdmi drivers? I know I can test Left + Sub (channel 1 + 4) or Right + Sub but not both. Should I be using the other drivers in REW and testing that way, with both fronts using full range, plus subs? But then the subs dont play as the fronts are set to large ?

Looks like I have another weekend of sliding subs around

·
Registered
3 Posts
Might I ask what AVR you are using? I currently have a Denon AVR-790 (Audyssey MultEQ) and I do not expect to see near the improvement you did. The attached graph shows the results of two possible dual SB-2000 configurations in my room. The EQ improvement you experienced gives me hope that I might just have the chance of achieving a flat response, but it clearly means that it is time for a new AVR. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might I ask what AVR you are using? I currently have a Denon AVR-790 (Audyssey MultEQ) and I do not expect to see near the improvement you did. The attached graph shows the results of two possible dual SB-2000 configurations in my room. The EQ improvement you experienced gives me hope that I might just have the chance of achieving a flat response, but it clearly means that it is time for a new AVR. :)
My AVR is Deon AVR-X6200W

It has the Audyssey XT32 which from my understanding is their big improvement on the sub frequencies, and for using dual subs. I've alwso been using a minidsp and filters generated from rew with good success after audyssey.

Have fun with your future upgrade !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts