Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know anything about projectors, screens, etc., but my wife and I are interested in setting up a very basic "home theater" in our basement. I have a lot to learn but fortunately have a lot to work with too - the basement is unfinished at the moment so our options are pretty wide open. The limiting factor will, of course, be financial. :) (Isn't it always?) But I look forward to learning how to do the best we can with what we have!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi: I accomplished what you're setting out to do a few months ago. It took me 9 months, mostly because it was just me and I friend and an electrician related to my significant other.
One of the primary goals is going to be controlling the light. Hopefully you don't have windows, etc to deal with. Another issue is isolating the room from the rest of the house, with double drywall, insulation, etc.
I painted my walls with Roscoe paint (a non-reflective professional grade paint), got the thickest pad I could for the flooring, installed 6 recessed LED lights, installed an exterior, insulated door leading into the theater room.
There's other suggestions I could make if you're interested.
As far as equipment, I hung the projector from the ceiling with a dedicated mount, bought a free-standing DA-LITE high contrast screen (many mount the screen to the wall, but I wanted the speakers further out into the room besides and below the screen). After researching projectors. I went with an Optoma. I have 2 Rythmik 15" subwoofers and a 7.1 surround system. My fronts are Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2's, a Horizon center (with the RAAL tweeter). I have begun to install GIK acoustic treatment, and the sound is fantastic (and I'm very picky about such things).
I would take the time to position your equipment properly: the speakers the same distance from you as they are apart, with some breathing space from both the front and side walls), the listening position about 2/3rds into the room, and careful placement of the subwoofers.
I'm sure others will chime in with other thoughts, and do what we can to make your project a success. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Welcome to the SHACK... Glad you joined.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Hi Matthew,

You found the right place! Thanks for joining Home Theater Shack!

If you're a Facebook user, click on the Facebook icon at the top of the page and "Like" our Facebook Page. Our feed is full of interesting links, photos, and news.:T

Regards, Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts