1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm chasing dreams...
Ideal systems sounds and visuals.
Home theatre in the living room on my way to 7.2.4
Two channel system can't wait to add latest Marantz SA10 to my system, really.

Living in Saudi Arabia I have become an international buyer and shipper clearing Customs like a pro!

Taking nothing for granted.

Some recent questions I've had:

1. Which is better, MBL or Tidal speakers? Dreaming remember ?
2. Will the cheap and good Lounge Audio phonostage be any better than the built in one in my AV8802A SE?
3. Is an old Burmester 897 Stereo Preamp really good?
4. Is it true that youth don't care about Hi Fi and this industry doesn't have a succession plan?

Great to meet you all and discover this well established community.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey crazy, I like your question about the youth as it is something I think about quite often. When I was in high-school, the cool thing for kids to do was to hang out in parking lots seeing who had the coolest car or loudest stereo. We used to have 3 dedicated audio shops in my town of 55 thousand, and when you went to any shop or any of the many department stores and visited the electronics sections you'd find shelves full of products and lots of people.

Things have changed in the last 25 years around here. I still live in the same town, same population. Only one of the audio stores is still open. I still visit, but the store rarely has a customer besides myself. I don't hear the cars booming down the street like I used to, in fact the kids don't even "cruise the drag" in my town like they used to when I was young.

It's kind of sad and frustrating, because I feel audio in general hasn't moved forward as fast as other areas of technology. It seems as if in a lot of ways, quality has taken a step or two backwards, as people now seem to be OK with paying less money and getting a product that does the job, but not much more. The good thing though, is with the advent of the internet, it is far easier to find the good products that do exist out there and find other people like ourselves who might be half a world away but can still talk about audio.

I think our hobby does have future, but I do think we have seen the peak. People now just seem to have different priorities in general.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts